Folder lock/password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.66ghz 4GB Ram
does anyone know of a simple app that can lock a folder and requires a password to open it, i have some stuff i would like to keep extra safe.
thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Most here would suggest you use the disk utility application and create a secure disk partition and put a pass word on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2.4GHz
There's a pretty cool widget you can get called Abracadabra. It's a tiny hat appearing on your widgets, and you can place a folder or file in the hat, and require a password to retrieve such a file. It's hidden off of your desktop. It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I think it's pretty awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Also look into truecrypt, it basically creates a virtual hard drive image that is password protected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook. 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 5G 30GB iPod.
I agree with rman. Just use disk utility. Easy way to secure files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Also look into truecrypt, it basically creates a virtual hard drive image that is password protected.

As quoted below, this is a very similar process to rmans suggestion, although requires extra applications and I don't know what the outcome is like. I would consider this to be a second choice.

Most here would suggest you use the disk utility application and create a secure disk partition and put a pass word on it.

This is the best way to achieve what you are looking for and if you are not quite sure how to achieve the dmg that is encrypted, you can do it quite easily through many websites that have instructions. A simple google will turn those up for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.