Did you open your mac mini? Did you scratch is up a bit?

Reaction score
When I opened mine I used a putty knife, which is what another site said to use, I scraped up the bottom of my mac mini a bit, no big deal since you can't see it. Is it even possible to open it without scratching it a little?

O

osxuser

it probably is. I've heard they gonna make a 'mac opener' or something like that soon. It's like some sort of plastic knife to open mac mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini @ 1.5Ghz, 1GB ram, 12.1" ibook 1.33Ghz 1GB ram
osxuser said:
it probably is. I've heard they gonna make a 'mac opener' or something like that soon. It's like some sort of plastic knife to open mac mini.

the mac mini service guide says to use a putty knife that has been sharpened to using sandpaper which is what i did and it worked a treat not a single scratch any of the 6 times i have opened it!

OP
M
Reaction score
I didn't scratch it bad the first time I opened it, but when I put the case back on it didn't line up right and I quickly tried to get the case off to fix it, that is when I scratched it to where it was noticeable.

A

appsman

They are all mangled a bit at the Palo Alto Mac Store

If you flip over the minis they have on display at the Palo Alto Mac Store, all are mangled a bit at the edges where the putty knife is supposed to go in. Maybe they were in a hurry, or it's just not as easy as it sounds to do a clean job.

Reaction score
I've opened my mini acouple times, and I have not scratched it at all. I inserted one edge of the blade, and slowly slide the other end of the blade down (like a see-saw fashion). Repeat this with the the putty knife, spread them apart, BAM!! No scratches. The first time is the hardest. Afterwards, it comes off much easier...

I think the difficult part, is putting the cover back on. You have to make sure everything is perfectly lined-up on the back panel.

VJ

E

EvoMac

I just took mine off, taking off was np with a plastic putty knife however I misaligned it the first time. I found the secret is line up the back (with the ports) first and then the 2 sides catch. From there you just snap the rest back in. At least that worked for me my .02

C

Cloudane

I'm waiting for someone to coat the handle of a putty knife in white plastic, mark the price up 5x and call it an iOpener ;)

N

NineInchWorms

any one got any pics of the inside of their mini? I haven't seen what this babys brain looks like yet.

I

iDVFH.

Lol, wasn't this thread like dead for the past couple of weeks? could have been a month! lol

OP
M
Reaction score
Danster said:
What does the RAM-Sink do?
The thing in that picture is really more of a ram heat-spreader. They are supposed to dissapate head but really I think people just buy them because they look neat, I got mine for free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.