1TB Iomega Hard Drive, have i blown it up?

Reaction score
spilled lemonade on my adaptor, dried it out and plugged it back in but it did not work. Tried another 12v adapter and heard a buzzing sound from the drive and then nothing, just the light stays on but the pc doesnt recognise it. I just realised maximum Amp on the adapter for this hard drive should have been 1.5a, the adapter i used was 12v but had 800ma, so is that 8amp? Have i fried my hard drive? can it be resurrected, its still under warranty but will my data be recovered? i think it has a seagate esata drive inside, not sure but thats what someone said on another forum. any advice appreciated, thanksO:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First of all, 800MA is not 8 Amps. It's a lot less. So it appears the adapter you used for the Iomega in place of the 1.5A adapter does not have enough power to run the drive. More than likely that's the reason the drive will not mount. Replace the original adapter with one that has the correct voltage and current which the drive needs to work and you should be OK. Also, be sure to maintain the correct polarity. (+ and -)

BTW, 800 MA (milliamps) is .8 amps not 8 amps. :)

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
First of all, 800MA is not 8 Amps. It's a lot less. So it appears the adapter you used for the Iomega in place of the 1.5A adapter does not have enough power to run the drive. More than likely that's the reason the drive will not mount. Replace the original adapter with one that has the correct voltage and current which the drive needs to work and you should be OK. Also, be sure to maintain the correct polarity. (+ and -)

BTW, 800 MA (milliamps) is .8 amps not 8 amps. :)

Regards.

A big sigh of relief, many thanks, not sure what you mean about maintaining polarity though?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A big sigh of relief, many thanks, not sure what you mean about maintaining polarity though?

Disregard if the adapter will only plug in one way.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.