Upgrade to backlit keyboard for an Alum. MacBook that came without?

Reaction score
The base MacBook available now doesn't come with a backlit keyboard, that is the only feature I like on the more expensive one but it isn't worth the hundreds of dollars extra.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, the $300 difference is more than just a backlit keyboard. You are also getting a faster processor and larger HD.

Now, I know that some of you will scoff and say, "OMGWWJDBBQ!!!111!!...all of that isn't worth $300... I could find those parts cheaper elsewhere!!!111!!!eleventy!!"... but, consider this:

Even if the keyboard upgrade were possible, by the time you take the time to find the parts, spend the money to purchase said parts... then deal with the aggravation, blood, sweat and tears required to complete the upgrade... it would have been much more economical and practical to just spend the $300 extra to buy the MacBook that comes with the backlit keyboard.

Not only would you get the backlit keyboard, but you would also get
the faster processor and larger HD... which, again, are also factored into the $300 price bump.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't whether your post is a statement or a complaint, however...

The 13" MacBook now comes in three models. Top of the line unibody aluminum 2.4 GHz has the illuminated keyboard, the other two models do not.

However, all three models now have the newer and faster nVidia graphics chipset. The two unibody aluminum models use DDR3 memory. The low priced white plastic body MacBook still retains DDR2 memory.

Your choice: from $999 to $1599 :)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz aluminum unibody, 250 GB HD, 2GB RAM
Well, the $300 difference is more than just a backlit keyboard. You are also getting a faster processor and larger HD.

Now, I know that some of you will scoff and say, "OMGWWJDBBQ!!!111!!...all of that isn't worth $300... I could find those parts cheaper elsewhere!!!111!!!eleventy!!"... but, consider this:

Even if the keyboard upgrade were possible, by the time you take the time to find the parts, spend the money to purchase said parts... then deal with the aggravation, blood, sweat and tears required to complete the upgrade... it would have been much more economical and practical to just spend the $300 extra to buy the MacBook that comes with the backlit keyboard.

Not only would you get the backlit keyboard, but you would also get
the faster processor and larger HD... which, again, are also factored into the $300 price bump.
You also wouldn't void your warranty by installing the new keyboard.

Reaction score
Personally, after seeing the backlit keyboard in action, I knew I needed it. Now yes, you can upgrade the hard drive, but you can't upgrade the processor, and while it's 400Mhz, it helps with some stuff. I say go for it. I did, and I love the keyboard, it's so sexy. It adds a nice amount of ambient light, when in a dary room, and it even looks cool in a lit up room.

OP
M
Reaction score

I realize that and I am not saying it isn't worth it, just that I personally wouldn't need all that so if there was a way I could get the parts to upgrade only the keyboard, it would be advantageous for me.

Reaction score
I realize that and I am not saying it isn't worth it, just that I personally wouldn't need all that so if there was a way I could get the parts to upgrade only the keyboard, it would be advantageous for me.

Probably not, and to me, it wouldn't be worth risking the warranty. If you need a laptop now, go with the base model, but if you could wait, I would wait and save up to get the $1599 model.

OP
M
Reaction score
Probably not, and to me, it wouldn't be worth risking the warranty. If you need a laptop now, go with the base model, but if you could wait, I would wait and save up to get the $1599 model.

For me it comes down to the illuminated keyboard option not being worth $300. Even though the $300 buys you additional options, they are not options that add value as far as I am concerned so while the price different between the 2 models is perfectly reasonable, it doesn't make sense for me.

I finally found the Apple part number for the backlit keyboard, it is 661-4944, and it runs $200+. At that price, I wouldn't buy a base model with plans to upgrade it but I am still kind of curious if the backlit keyboard would work...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53
I love my backlit keyboard. I am glad I got the 2.4 model. Well worth the money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I was fairly sure that you knew the difference between the models was more than just the keyboard. However, my point was that despite your feelings that
...if there was a way I could get the parts to upgrade only the keyboard, it would be advantageous for me.
...that it wouldn't be advantageous, practical or worth it, yet the question persists.
The backlit keyboard DIY upgrade dilemma/question has been around since Apple introduced the feature. People wanted to upgrade their iBooks/MacBooks with one because the PowerBooks/MacBook Pros had it. It is simply part of what separates the models from each other.
Still, it was the "only" feature some people wanted. This idea is nothing new... and the fact is, it will never be worth it because:
by the time you take the time to find the parts, spend the money to purchase said parts... then deal with the aggravation, blood, sweat and tears required to complete the upgrade... it would have been much more economical and practical to just spend the $300 extra to buy the MacBook that comes with the backlit keyboard.
...which you seemed to have discovered on your own and proven to be true anyway:
I finally found the Apple part number for the backlit keyboard, it is 661-4944, and it runs $200+
:)

Now, to answer this now age-old question... yes, if you did buy that part and installed it properly, then it would certainly work. The two MacBooks in question use the same form factor. With the exception of the aforementioned differences, the innards are identical. Adding the backlit keyboard would definitely be feasible.

However, the time and money spent to achieve that would actually result in a base-model MacBook with only one of those upgrades (and a voided warranty)... that costs more than the fully upgraded model direct from Apple.

Reaction score
And the answer is:

It depends on the model of MacBook you have.

If you have any MacBook aluminum uni-body then the connector for the back lit keyboard is present on the logic board. The only way you can get the keyboard, without buying it directly from Apple, is to find someone who's laptop has had logic board problems, mostly due to water damage. Then you could replace your top case, with regular keyboard, with one that has the back lit keyboard and it would work as expected.

If you were still under a warranty from Apple then doing so would violate it. Though, from my experience damage done to Apple laptops is never covered under warranty because of obvious user damage or water damage. Your mileage may vary.

I am in the same predicament as you. I have the a model like mentioned above, meaning my logic board could power the back lit keyboard. But to me, any way you go it is not worth what it would cost/risk to do such an upgrade. I found a $5 solution, for when I am typing in the dark, and that solution is a $5 USB flexible keyboard lite. It's not sexy like the one the Pro has but it works. They sell them at the check out isle at Fry's Electronics.

I knew someone that sent in a MacBook aluminum uni-body, not covered under warranty (water damage), to a 3rd party repair shop. As a free bonus she got her repaired MacBook back after it had its top case replaced with one that has the back lit keyboard. But, I can't recall the name and doubt they are still doing that. Sorry, try Google.

OP: I hope that answers your question.

Encryption

p.s. In case you didn't notice: "Water Damage MY APPLE!"

Reaction score
lower aluminium macbook with backlit keyboard

I have installed the backlit keyboard on my lower aluminium macbook, but it doesnt work, because my computer doesn't know that now it has this function, in system preferences in keyboard & mouse i do not have the option to configure this function.

what can i do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.