Powerbook conecting to a wireless network

K

kingcrowing2

So i just got my new 12" powerbook (well, new to me!) and i've got an airport card in it... it searched and found my wireless network, and when i'm booted up and i look at the connection thing, it says i have like most of the bars of connectivity (which is about right, thats what i get on my dell laptop) and i know the password is right, but when i open up safari it says it can't connect to the internet... When i was going through the OS X inital installer thing where you put in all your personal info it lets you set up your wireless network... and i got connected to mine through DHCP, but it asked about like DHCP name or ID or someithing and i didn't know that... can anyone help me??? thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
When setting up the network name and password, you may need to put a "$" in front of your encryption key in order for it to work.

OP
K

kingcrowing2

nope... i put the "$" in, but then it wouldn't let me type the letters in, it would only let me type some letter, but it seemed like it connected before, just couldn't get any connectivity

OP
T

tariq

just guessing here, but DHCP name or ID may refer to your wireless network's name. are you sure you're using the right name?

can you connect to your router (goto the router setup website) from the powerbook?

OP
K

kingcrowing2

ugh, now i can't find where it asked me that, i tried going through the airport thing on the top, but it never asked for that, and i can't connect to my router either, but it shows signal strength

OP
T

tariq

when you left-click on the airport icon, do you see your network listed there? just above "other..."? that's your network name (assuming it's not another network that your pb is picking up--like a neighbour's)

OP
K

kingcrowing2

ya, i see that and i can go to the options for it and change the password and stuff, so i know the password is correct, i just can't connect, maybe i need to update the OS, its 10.3.4, i'll try pluging it into the network, then updating everything

OP
I

IChing

What is your router manufacturer and model? Some have firmware issues with macs. Sometimes a factory reset on the router is necessary, plus temporarily disabling all firewalls on the computer and router is necessary until you get hooked into the system.

OP
V

vtupser

Try reseting your router and starting from scratch (new password, WEP, etc.). Your IP address or MAC address might be blocked by your router so your computer will see the connection, but the router wont let you access it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
vtupser said:
Try reseting your router and starting from scratch (new password, WEP, etc.). Your IP address or MAC address might be blocked by your router so your computer will see the connection, but the router wont let you access it.

i agree with vtupser. if i were you i'd completely reset the router and start from scratch. there's no reason why it shouldn't connect if you're picking up signals. just reset the router and you should be able to connect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.