Can't open Macintosh HD folder after update

Reaction score
Hi All, my first post here - thanks for any help.

I just installed recent updates for Quicktime, iTunes, OS, and maybe one other application, and now I can no longer open the Macintosh HD window. When I double click it, it opens for a split second and then closes again. Same thing when I go to "Go to folder'. The Applications window works just fine through "Go to folder", so it seems specific to the Macintosh HD folder.

Any thoughts?

Marnix

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try rebooting the machine and see if things return to normal. If they don't, it could very well be that the update didn't go well. In that case, try downloading the latest combined update for your operating system from Apple and install it.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Try rebooting the machine and see if things return to normal. If they don't, it could very well be that the update didn't go well. In that case, try downloading the latest combined update for your operating system from Apple and install it.

Regards.

That didn't work - Any other thoughts? I can open any other folder, just not the Macintosh HD folder. I tried renaming it, and that doesn't work either. It opens for a split second, and then closes again. Very inconvenient!

Marnix

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem on my Mac (OSX 10.4.11), but only on the account of my son.
On his account the home folder can't be opened, neither from his account, nor from my administrator account.

On another forum someone suggested to delete the .DS_Store file of that folder, wich I am unable to do so far (I'm not familiar with Terminal). Anyway, it's reported not to work either.

OP
N
Reaction score
Problem of not-opening HD folder still not resolved

Hi, I posted this problem earlier and got some helpful replies, but nothing worked, so here I am - perhaps someone has been able to solve this issue in the meantime. Basically, after the most recent Apple software update, I cannot open the Macintosh HD folder, either by double clicking it, or through the "Go" command. In those cases, it will flash open and close immediately. Any other folder will open just fine. This is becoming a significant problem as it makes it difficult to organize the drive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Marnix

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome back. OK, try this as a test... Log off your machine and log back on using "Root" access. See the following Apple KB article to learn how to setup a "Root" user on your machine: Link

If you're successful in opening and viewing your MacIntosh HD using root user access, then you'll know that the problem is related to permissions.

Post back results.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok, I tried the "Root User" trick, but that didn't work either. One thing that makes me think that permissions have nothing to do with the problem is that the HD folder does open up, but only for a split second. Then the whole screen flickers, everything seems to disappear for another split second, and then goes back to my normal desktop.

Any other ideas out there?

Marnix

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm about out of ideas on this one. :( The only other thing I can suggest is make a backup of your data and reinstall clean. If the same thing happens after a reinstall, it may be related to a hardware problem - as unlikely as that is.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'll take a stab at this one. It appears that, for some reason, Finder keeps crashing when you try to open the root directory (/) of your Mac in Finder. Let's try to open this from the command line to see if an error is reported. Open up /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and execute the following command:
Code:
open /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/ /
Do you get any sort of errors or warnings printed to the command line?

Reaction score
Me Too!

I'll take a stab at this one. It appears that, for some reason, Finder keeps crashing when you try to open the root directory (/) of your Mac in Finder. Let's try to open this from the command line to see if an error is reported. Open up /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and execute the following command:
Code:
open /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/ /
Do you get any sort of errors or warnings printed to the command line?

Same problem on my iMac 3.3GHz purchased April 2010, with Snow Leopard. Just tried your Terminal.app suggestion, vansmith. The result was identical to original problem: Macintosh HD folder opened for a split second, then closed itself. Will try to manually download the latest combined update.

Reaction score
Try Get Info

Right Click on the HDD -> Get Info

Click on the lock bottom right corner lock icon, type in your password.

Click the + button and add yourself as the user, and give yourself "Read & Write" permission.

Close the lock.

Problem Solved.

P.S. I just did that.

Reaction score
That only works if you're logged in as admin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I think they got it as it was a six year old thread.

Reaction score
(sigh) One of these days I'm gonna check the **** dates.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That's the way it goes Craig. Guess in 2009 Tiger was a lot more up to date than 2015! Comment was for himan999.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.