Apple or Mac?

V

Verrminator

what is it now? Apple or Mac? which does the company and line of computers go by now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Kind of like make and model in cars. It's an Apple Macintosh kind of like it's a Ford Mustang. And it's pretty much been the same for over twenty years now.

There, feel better now?

Reaction score
most people call them mac, jsut because when they first came out it was the Macintosh. But now since the company name is Apple Computer Inc, people refer to them as macs, or apple computers. your choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Apple, as shaun89 and CaptainMack have said, is the only way to refer to the company (Apple Computer, Incorporated.) "Mac" is not a company.

Also, Apple IIs, Newtons, and iPods are Apples, but not Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Here's an example:

Apple = company. Hewlett-Packard = Company.
Macintosh = Product Line (Computers). Deskjet = Product line (printers)
iBook = Specific Product name. Deskjet 3320 = Specific product name.

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Here's an example:

Apple = company. Hewlett-Packard = Company.
Macintosh = Product Line (Computers). Deskjet = Product line (printers)
iBook = Specific Product name. Deskjet 3320 = Specific product name.

So is an iBook under the Macintosh product line? I didn't think they used Macintosh anymore, I thought it was just Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Mac is the abbreviation for macintosh, but they do tend to just say "mac" now.

The iBook is a computer that runs the Mac operating system, so yes - it is under the Macintosh product line.

But all apple computers currently are, so the differentiation is basically unnecessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Actually, they only have one line, which is called Mac. Even Steve Jobs doesn't call the Macintosh anymore, and it's written nowhere.

The products starting with i are consumer products (iMac, iBook).
The eMac was initially available for the educational market only, that's why it has an e. And to make the difference to the iMac, they simply kept that e.
The products starting with Power (PowerMac, PowerBook) are considered for professionals, they are more powerfull and more extensible.
The servers are called Xserves, and they are based on the PowerMac.

But all of these are Macs, running the same architecture and the same OS.
Apple doesn't have any other computer line anymore.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
It's quite funny how computers tend to be referred to by the OS rather than the company name until you are actually going to buy one. i.e You refer to computers at home as "the Linux box" or "the 98 PC" but if you are going to buy one you ask questions like "Dell, Compaq or Alienware?".

I can't think of any other product we treat in quite the same way.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I don't always see it with Windows computers. I see them referred to by brand names a lot. With Linux systems, though, you have to take into account that a larger number of Linux systems are custom built, so they don't really HAVE a brand name. This is becoming more and more common as companies like Alienware inflate prices and companies like HP and Compaq use cheap components in their computers. But yeah, I see your point overall. Because like, we don't call a Chevy car by its engine or transmission, nor do we call a steak by the sauce we put on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
even if its not in the computer name, they all run the Mac OS. so just like you could call any Dell a windows machine, all Apple computers are Macs

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

Maybe this is just semantics, but isn't the operating system called OS 8/9/X, not 'the Mac OS'?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
When looking on Apple's support site, they call it Mac OS since version 7, and I guess they should know... :headphone

And as we are at semantics, Mac OS X is prononced Mac OS 10, the X not only represents the Unix based core, but also a roman 10.

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

I look at the support site, and I read Mac OS X, and I'm not verbally pronouncing 'ten' but writing it as apple does, OS X.

Where on the support site do you see Mac OS without a numeric designation following?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MichaelSullivan said:
I look at the support site, and I read Mac OS X, and I'm not verbally pronouncing 'ten' but writing it as apple does, OS X.

Where on the support site do you see Mac OS without a numeric designation following?

Little misunderstanding...on the support site, you can type in the search box the system number, like OS 7 or OS 8...and you'll find mostly denominations like Mac OS starting with version 7.

Mac OS X is always written X, but spoken as "ten". Even Steve Jobs never say "Mac OS X", but "Mac OS ten"

OP
J

jessica

Please don't compare an apple to a ford. I have more respect for apple.

dan828 said:
Kind of like make and model in cars. It's an Apple Macintosh kind of like it's a Ford Mustang. And it's pretty much been the same for over twenty years now.

There, feel better now?

OP
M

mangoSharingan

I refer to the overall company as Apple since they make other stuff like iPods and TFTs, while I refer to all the computers as Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Trivia: What is the only place you will see the full word Macintosh on any currently shipping Apple product?

When Mac OS X starts up, it briefly flashes "Welcome to Macintosh," just as every Mac has since the beginning of time.

I kinda hope they don't take that out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.