is it time to replace the HD

Reaction score
I have a 250 gig Hd there is only 20 gig left, will this cause the OS to slow down or is this only an issue with windows.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a 250 gig Hd there is only 20 gig left, will this cause the OS to slow down or is this only an issue with windows.

It's an issue with OS X as well. Your hard drive is down to around 10% of its available space as free space. That will almost certainly slow things down.

Whether or not you need a new hard drive depends on how much of what's currently on the drive which can be cleaned off (deleted) or transferred to an external drive. If your HDD is loaded with music, videos, movies, and the like, it's a simple matter of moving them to an external drive rather than replacing the current 250 GB drive you have.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
I would rather just replace the HD as new ones are cheap, I have suspected the iMac has slowed down.

thanks for the info

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Once you get under the 20% mark of course it will slow right down as the drive continuously searches for free space to place items you are saving and/or downloading, including emails etc.

This is a problem with all hard drives as they become full and get below the 20% mark regardless if Windows or Mac operating systems. Replacing the hard drive in an iMac is not the easiest job in the world and maybe you should consider chscags suggestion of an external drive for music, photos etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would rather just replace the HD as new ones are cheap, I have suspected the iMac has slowed down. thanks for the info

As harry has pointed out, changing a hard drive in an iMac is not an easy task. For one, the entire display panel must be removed first. However, if you want a new hard drive rather than use an external you have two choices:

1. Do it yourself. Link

2. Have someone else do it. Link

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I have the old white iMac and have already taken it apart, That bit does not worry me. Getting the software back on the new HD is a concern.

I believe it is as easy as.
1) Physically changing the drive.
2) Booting up the iMac with the Leopard disk
3) Going to utilities, and clicking restore (I have time machine)

Is it that simple?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's just about that easy. Read a couple of articles and comments about the restore process and you should be good to go. This one covers most of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.