• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone not popular in Japan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 250gb
i have to ask...y do you really need tv on ur phone. I mean really? wat purpose does that serve?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5ghz 4gb
jstew....

It's a cultural thing... No time & no life so you catch up on your daily TV drama using your keitai phone or watch the news while scarfing down a riceball during your 30 - 45 minute lunch or catch the last 3 innings of the Baseball game on the 1 hour commute home..,

Some people have neither the patience, time or energy to watch a Tivo'ed TV drama when they finally arrive home from work at 10:30 at night - some half drunk from the mandatory social interchange with co-workers after putting in 2 hours of OT with no compensation...:Grimmace:

Don't worry though - on the culture ignorance side of things - the Japanese have no idea why someone would buy a $ 50k boat to park it in their driveway and use it just 4 times a year either... :D

It's all about perspective...........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5ghz 4gb
Peers...

I went to Japan last year and the iPhone in Japan was 750 dollars.Why are they so much out here?

My iPhone 3G 16 gb - purchased March 1 under the new offers - cost me 11,520 yen ( 480 x 24 months ) with a 2 year contract - - - this exchanges to about $ 110 usd....... A 8 GB would have been FREE...

Last year was - well............ Last year... :)

Part of the reason initial sales of the iPhone were low was for this very reason - full featured phones here cost almost nothing...

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB | 8GB iPod Nano
neither is xbox :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 MacBook 13inch, 2.1Ghz, Leopard 10.5.6, 4gb ram, 320 gb 5400rpm hdd, Intel GMA X3100
im stationed...

here in japan and i and alot of my friends got iphones from softbank, and they dont just give them away, you have to sign up with a 2 year contract and pay an extra 17 dollars a month, they reimburse you 13 of the 17 dollars back and its also the plan comes with basically unlimited features of the phone, it has superfast internet, youtube is great, communication is great, Fox news is just jealous that the iPhone is such a great successful apple product, i use my iPhone over here all the time, and i know some japanese ppl are interested in these type of phones cuz i see them with fancy phones all the time

(edit) oh and you can get an mms program to send pix via text, besides you still have email and stuff

Reaction score
I think this is just hype "news" playing up the fact that iPhone tech isn't really special in Asia since they've been playing with flash lite technology w/their mobile for years now. Just because it's nto as popular as it is in the US doesn't mean they "hate" iphones in Japan!

vxd

Reaction score
No one said they "hate" the iPhone, all the article was saying was the sales are not that great.
All you fankids stop trying to defend Apple and take it as it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
i have to ask...y do you really need tv on ur phone. I mean really? wat purpose does that serve?

To be truthful I think it's fairly obvious. It serves the purpose of watching the news/sports/your favorite program when you're out and about. I would love to have a tuner on my phone. Very convenient. Especially for those in densely-populated areas (big cities) when you're out a lot or have long commutes to work.

I was watching live coverage of the Masters today from Amen Corner on my iPod Touch when I had about 20 minutes of downtime. It was great. Got to catch Tiger play about 2-and-a-half. I wish more sports would provide such apps for their events.

Is it a luxury? Yes, but so is virtually everything associated with cell phones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Intel Core Duo 2.0 ghz Macbook, 20" iMac G5 2.0 ghz, iPhone 3G
well, i live in tokyo and it isnt that people hate the iphone. more people hate the service provider Softbank. However, the iphone seems to have done surprisingly well despite the shortcomings (camera, mail, no tuner).
also, the iphone is not really free per se. they make you sign a 2 year contract for the phone. meaning if you want to change or upgrade the phone then you have to pay the full price of the phone. which is around 50,000円 about $600.
Softbank however worked around the mail problem by using SMS with a different mail address. I havent had any problems service wise from them since. Other than the shotty network. i cant get a proper signal in my own house! while the docomo and au people get full signals.

Reaction score
The iPhone is not doing that bad. I see quite a few Japanese using them. The big issue is Apple goes thru Softbank to put its iPhone on the market. Softbank is ranked last behind Au and Dokomo. If Apple would have hooked up with the number 1 carrier in Japan, "Au", I think it would have done better. Other reason, this technology is nothing new to the Japanese. When I was in Japan in 2004, the cell phones already had e-mail capability. The only area you don't see the Japanese pounding the U.S., is in computer operating systems (Windows and OS X). To this day I still don't get why the Japanese have never developed their own operating system to compete against Windows and OS X?????

Take Care and May God Bless!O:)

Ed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.