Speed of Parallels and dual processors

Reaction score
I have seen a few threads where tests have shown Parallels to be the slowest of the bunch of different virtulal machine apps.

This has been put down to the fact that parallels only takes advantage of a single processor. One of these threads mentioned it was Parallels v3 they were testing, the other thread did not mention a version.

Anyone know if the latest Parallels 4.0 supports twin processors on the Mac Pro. I see Fusion supports twin processors, jsut wondering if P4 has caught up?

Neil

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Fusion supports 2 virtualized CPUs (i.e. it tells the OS that there are two virtual CPUs), it doesn't actually provide direct access to multiple cores as that functionality is part of the VM abstraction. I'd imagine that Parallels 4 works in a similar fashion. Regardless, this probably has little impact on the actual speed of the virtual machine since most software (Windows or Mac) is not multiprocessor capable anyway.

OP
N
Reaction score
OK, cheers

Welll they are both available as 30 day trials anyway, so will have a play when my machine arrives...been waiting since 6 Jan
. supposed to be here Monday.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The real difference in speed will come down to how much RAM you provide your VM. Having a good CPU is a must but RAM will be the real determinant of how well your VM runs on your hardware. What are the specs of your machine?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.