XHTML buzz

S

Stanley

Can anyone tell me why XHTML is such a big deal ? I started reformatting my HTML-code into XHTML (only lowercase, close all tags, allways "alt"-attributes with images,...) because i guess it's just good practice these days. But I don't see any real benefits uptil now...
I try to position as many things with CSS as possible, but I still use a lot of tables...

Stanley

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Well I believe it's just because it's the intermediary step between HTML and XML... there really is no good reason, except clean code, to do it in xhtml if you have a simple site.. I like XHTML just because it helps me keep my code looking good :)

OP
S

Stanley

Murlyn said:
I like XHTML just because it helps me keep my code looking good :)

True :)

Now about XHTML as the missing link between XML and HTML

I still have no idea how to see the direct use of XML in a browser. I use XML files as a datasource in flash projects though, and there I see what it's good for.

Still many questions... I am not a Jedi yet I suppose...

Stanley

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Well basically as I understand it.. yes you use it as a datasource and then using xsl.. I believe is the name of it, you determine how your xml is supposed to be shown.. again I see this as a lot more trouble then it is worth..

here is a bit about xsl: http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
XHTML is all about standards. I believe HTML 4.0 was interpreted in widely different ways between platforms and browsers, therefore XHTML (which has a clear set of rules to follow and forces developers to use clean code) was 'invented'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.