Airport Express and Linksys 5 port group switch

DJM

Reaction score
I recently purchased an airport express to accomodate my laptop's wireless capabilities. However, the airport express has only one ethernet port, as does my parents' modem. Thus, I could either hook up the airport or my parent's iMac. I chose the airport, which resulted in a few weeks worth of fights. To alleviate the problem, I purchased a linksys 5 port group switch, after someone told me I could use that to hook up both at the same time. Initially, the iMac wouldn't work. It registered what I was told was an invalid IP address. Then a cable technician came by, reset the modem (unplugged the battery), and now the airport does not work; it flashes yellow and says that it cannot detect the ethernet signal.

The iMac is running OSX 10.3 and the laptop OSX 10.4. I am not sure if the modem can only accomodate one IP address or if there is any way to share IP addresses. Do I need to change something with the DHCP on my laptop? Do I need to manually enter an IP? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely lost....and without wireless internet.

-dm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.