installing OSX on Powermac G4 500mhz

Reaction score
i am trying to instal OSX( from my macbook ) on a newly acquired G4 and it will boot but it says it cant install

its a G4 gigabit
500MHZ
640 ram
and i put a 40gb drive in it and reformatted to a mac OS partition

what gives ?

from what i read this should not be a problem installing

but i am a newbie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
From your MacBook? Are you trying to use the gray discs that came with your MB? If so, they won't work. You will need a retail disc to install OSX on your G4.

OP
S
Reaction score
yeah thats what im trying to do

they worked fine when i installed a bigger drive i n my macbook

??????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
LOL system restore discs are model specific and will work only with the model they are released with. Only mentioned thousands of times in forums. Have a look around eBay and such places for a retail install version of Tiger OS X.4 and kick that RAM up to at least 1GB.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok so i i have a copy of tiger 4 disk set and upon disk one boot up the apple comes up then this

unable to find driver for this platform "powermac3,3"

what gives leopard will boot so i have some functionality but not istall tiger get me to this point

i have tried another cd drive and same error
i have tried more /less ram and i get the same deal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is this still with the disc from the Macbook or black coloured retail install DVD?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You are trying to install an Intel version of Tiger that came with an Intel Mac. Power PC is not an X86 CPU and you can not install a X86 (Intel) OS on a Power PC. The only Tiger that will install on that old Power PC G4 will be a Full Install Black Tiger DVD. The Retail copy. No Machine Specific version will install and especially one designed for an Intel Mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
yes i have a copy of the black tiger disc and thats whats throwing the error

Reaction score
While on this topic...I have a intel macbook pro which I bought used 18months ago. At the time I also bought leopard 10.4 family pack. I installed it on the laptop and my imac. A friend made me a good deal on his old 10" powerbook g4 which is great for carrying around and I was able to install 10.4 on that too. Now I just picked up an emac g4 1Gz and I'd like to install 10.4 but it only has a cd drive no DVD. I tried a usb DVD drive and I'm able to click on installer but I can't get to the languages screen to start install. What can I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well mixedup OS X.4 is Tiger and not Leopard, so it is either one or the other. The eMac is a Power PC (PPC) and they will not boot from a USB drive, even in most cases USB2.

PowerPC's are bootable using a Firewire device and connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.