Will Time Machine Erase All Files On My Portable Hard Drive?

Reaction score
This is my first time using Time Machine. I purchased a 500 gb portable hard drive (Western Digital) which is mac compatible. When I got it, it I loaded all of my files from my pc onto the hard drive. I have transferred some of the files (mostly pictures and documents) to my MacBook hard drive. When I connected my portable hard drive and opened up Time Machine, I located the Western Digital drive fine but it said it needed to be reformatted and that it will erase all of the files on the hard drive. I think there are some files on it that are necessary to run the hard drive so I'm nervous about deleting them. Can I delete them and still have the hard drive run properly? Should I just transfer all of the remaining files to my laptop and then use the Time Machine program? I want to be able to periodically back up all of my files on the portable hard drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In order to use your external HDD with Time Machine it must be formatted to HFS+. That process will wipe the drive clean and destroy all the data that is currently on it. Before formatting, save everything you need from the drive to a safe place.

There are no files on the WD drive that are necessary for it to run properly. Formatting it for Time Machine will prepare the drive to be used by your Mac for backups or even for storage of your OS X data if you choose.

You can even partition the drive into two partitions; one for Time Machine, the other for storage. The second partition can be created as FAT-32 and used for OS X and Windows file storage. If you need more help on this, post back and someone will lend a hand.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks that was helpful. I saved all my files that were on the portable hard drive and then erased them using Time Machine. Then I ran Time Machine and it now has all of my back up on it. Can you provide details on the partitioning process. Thanks again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To partition the WD, go to Utilities, Disk Utility. Highlight the WD drive, erase it, and then create two partitions. Format one as HFS + (for Time Machine), format the second partition as MS DOS (FAT-32) for file storage.

See this web site. Link

Regards.

Reaction score
Is it necessary to partition my external hard drive if I want to use it for Time Machine and to store loads of music that can't fit on my iMac? Like, will a separate folder do the trick? If not, will I still format the second partition as it is discussed previously in the thread?

Thanks!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it's not necessary to partition it for both Time Machine and to store iTunes music files. Time Machine backups will not overwrite your music files. And yes, you should store the music files in a separate folder on the drive.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm in a similar situation. My 1tb hard drive has all my music, videos, etc stored in there and the format is Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Will selecting it as my time machine backup hard drive just create a folder and work from that or will it erase the files and then backup?

Thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If your drive is already HFS+ extended Time Machine will not erase the files that are already there. If it is formatted as something else (say FAT 32) then it will need to be re-formatted and that would lead to lose of data.

One of the downsides to this arrangement is that as your music files take up more space on the drive there is less space for backups.

Reaction score
what happens on a second backup?

Hi I am just now using the time machine for the first time.
I just backed up all my info but still am nervous about whats going to happen afterwards.

I needed to free up space in my disk, so right now EVERYTHING is in a external hard drive I used as backup disk, pics.. docs.. can i / should i delete the files in the computer?

What happens next time I do a backup? every file in the first backup stays intact or will it just delete and create a new one?

I am a complete tec-idiot so I apreciate the clarification.
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I needed to free up space in my disk, so right now EVERYTHING is in a external hard drive I used as backup disk, pics.. docs.. can i / should i delete the files in the computer?

No. Definitely do not delete the files you backed up with Time Machine. If you just copied those files to the external disk without using Time Machine, then it should be OK to remove them from your internal hard drive. But make sure the files are OK first. Many programs can not be moved to an external drive without reinstalling so be careful!

What happens next time I do a backup? every file in the first backup stays intact or will it just delete and create a new one?

Time Machine will only backup and write was has changed and will append it to the original backup. Each time it does that it creates a time - date stamped backup. Make sure you completely understand how Time Machine works. Do some googling and reading.

Reaction score
In order to use your external HDD with Time Machine it must be formatted to HFS+. That process will wipe the drive clean and destroy all the data that is currently on it. Before formatting, save everything you need from the drive to a safe place.

There are no files on the WD drive that are necessary for it to run properly. Formatting it for Time Machine will prepare the drive to be used by your Mac for backups or even for storage of your OS X data if you choose.

You can even partition the drive into two partitions; one for Time Machine, the other for storage. The second partition can be created as FAT-32 and used for OS X and Windows file storage. If you need more help on this, post back and someone will lend a hand.

Regards.

Yes please, I need help with this. My external hard drive has info on it and I'd like to partition it as you mentioned and need help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Yes please, I need help with this. My external hard drive has info on it and I'd like to partition it as you mentioned and need help.
You should start another thread. And provide all pertinent information about your Mac?

Since you already have data on the drive, you may lose that data. If you can move it, then partition the drive, then put the data back after the partitioning?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.