hosting with Xserve g4 or g5

Reaction score
I have just started a company, and we do web design. We want to offer a hosting solution to those who's website we design. I am a apple fan all the way, and since we are small. I have to go cheap....I am wondering can I host with a xserve g4 or g5. Eventually i would get the Xraid too....but can I? are they powerfull enough. We are designing with rapid weaver, and dream weaver. Some have very minimal graphics....some have a crap load of flash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac, 1GHZ, 1GB Memory, OS X 10.5
You don't need an xserve. You can host web sites using as little as an eMac. I know because I am hosting 3 web sites off an eMac using OS X 10.5.

You can even use a G4 PowerPC 400 MHZ or better.

It's all within the OS and the amount of bandwidth you are dealing with. For major web hosting you will need either a T1 or T3 line.

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You don't need an xserve. You can host web sites using as little as an eMac. I know because I am hosting 3 web sites off an eMac using OS X 10.5.

You can even use a G4 PowerPC 400 MHZ or better.

It's all within the OS and the amount of bandwidth you are dealing with. For major web hosting you will need either a T1 or T3 line.

James

Are you hosting with just OSx 10.5, or are you using the server version of the OS? If you're using just 10.5, is there a tutorial somewhere for setting up server based services on 10.5? I'd be interested in web, dns and email myself.

OSX server looks pretty nice, but I really don't need all of the extra features it offers... Don't mean to HiJack the thread, but I figured it's pretty much on topic with the spirit of the thread :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know if this is allowed, but I'll give it a shot anyhow.

I am hosting my Mom's website on an eMac 1GHZ, with 1GB Memory running OSX 10.5 off an External Hard Drive. The web site is:

"http://pfalknor.peacemax.org/"

Note that this is the primary name of the computer. It is dedicated to pfalknor. Can host users by adding users. Their personal web sites would be with ~xxx/ after the main name. Such as:

"http://pfalknor.peacemax.org/~jamesfalknor/"

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about DNS and email hosting? I'm asking because right now at home (I have a t1 at home, long story) I have a larger box running my dns and small webserver, but I was thinking it'd be pretty slick to pick up a mac mini and use that instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't tried DNS or E-mail services on my mac. But being BSD Unix under the hood, I'm sure there has got to be a way to do DNS and E-Mail services.

Google around a bit. I'll do the same.

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It looks like for DNS and E-Mail services, you are better off getting OS X Server Edition. Standard OS X is great as a web server.

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah, that's what I was thinking, was just hoping to avoid spending the coin right now. guess I'll just have to save up ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Intel Core2Duo 2.0GHz, 1GB Ram, 120Gb HD.
I'm looking into this as well. I've just got a G4 tower up and running which was given to me by a friend after they followed my example and got a Mac Mini, and me and my dad are working on using it as a live web-server to host our own personal site on. We were Windows guys in the past, but switched to OSX and haven't looked back, that said we're still relatively basic in our understanding of the more advanced stuff in OSX.

Basically, what we'd ultimately like is a server that could run full time (I looked into some stuff like MAMP and it said it wasn't suitable for live servers, but only as a development environment, which got me worried about taking this idea any further using it) and what we want functionality wise is stuff like:

-Basic front page (of course....)
-File/media hosting capabilities (to download and upload, media playing facilities would be nice but not essential)
-PHP/MySQL/PHPMyAdmin (basically I love messing around with forums and stuff, mostly SMF, and I want the ability to host a forum as part of this site as well)

Now I have literally no idea how to go about this, I've looked over quite a few guides on the net, quite a few after searching for 'OSX as a server' before I realised what we actually wanted was a web-server, which seems to take more steps. I've also seen most of the links on this thread already on my travels. I think I could probably get it running fine as a basic webpage and my dad would be happy enough, but ultimately the PHP/MySQL support is something I'm really keen on as I'm determined to get my own forum hosted and working in house. Therefore I was wondering if anyone knew how I should go about this literally from start to finish, as I've found how to turn it into a web-server, but info on the PHP/MySQL is kind of sparse and I can't really find out how to add this functionality on the end of the guides I've found, or even if I'd need to perform any extra steps in the basic web-server set up. Can anyone help with some pointers, or even a full guide on how I'd get to where I want to be?

Oh, and by the way we're kinda cheap.... Free is obviously preferable where any extra software is required, but we'd be quite willing to shell out something reasonable if it helped us along, we were just put off by the $499 price tag on OSX Server.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.