Firefox Slow, Fans Speed Up

Reaction score
I've noticed recently that sometimes if I have over 10 tabs open in Firefox my fans speed up to 5000RPM. I check Activity Monitor and CPU for Firefox is at 100%. Even if I close all tabs except for one, fans will run high and CPU will remain 100% until I close Firefox. Besides this, opening the Application folder is pretty slow, takes 10 seconds to display. I've done repair disk permissions, but perhaps I should try Techtool Pro as well. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Alexander

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think what you're experiencing is normal. Ten windows open in Firefox takes a lot of GPU and CPU power thereby generating heat. The fans ramp up until the temperature comes down. Closing Firefox releases the CPU.

As far as applications opening slowly, how much system memory do you have and how much hard drive free space is available?

Download the free "OnyX" maintenance program from here and run it.

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I generally run 10+ tabs in Firefox 3.1 beta and haven't had this issue. My guess is that one of your add-ons is having some issues. I would recommend removing all add-ons, testing, and if the problem doesn't persist, add each one back in (one at a time) and see if you can narrow down which one is causing it.

OP
H
Reaction score
Actually I'm probably running closer to 30+ tabs :p But only recently the fans just ramp up all of a sudden and CPU hits 100%.

I used Onyx and I think my system is snappier now. I also reinstalled Firefox and I think that helps. I have an add-on extension called "Look up in dictionary" and "Print-it!" which I hacked to work with Firefox 3 and beyond. For plug-in's I have Flip4Mac v2.1, Google Update 1 Click Deluxe Installer, Java Embedding v0.9.6.4, Quicktime v7.6, Shockwave Flash v9.0, Silverlight v2.0.3, and Speed Download.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hacked plug-ins would be the first thing I'd pull to test.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.