Glitch with Finder windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook
I've had this machine since the summer, but I haven't been able to figure this out..

I unchecked the box at Finder> CMD+, > "Always open folders in a new window"
I even unchecked the spring loaded option.

ALL of my folders still open, restarting the computer doesn't solve it.. and this is annoying as ****.

I don't like the column view so that's not really a solution.

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you say "all your folders open", are you referring to folders and sub folders will open at once in the same window rather than separate windows?

What happens when you double click on a folder that has a sub folder?

If the option is working correctly, the sub folder should open by itself in a separate window overlaying the window with the parent folder. If the option is unchecked, both parent and sub folder will display open in the same window.

And final question... Have you installed any third party software which may have modified the way Finder works?

Regards.

OP
the_decoy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook
Hello,

By "all of my windows" I mean, regardless of the folder I click it invariably opens in a new window.

Example: User > Documents > School > Subject > assignment.rtf
I'll have 4 finder windows open and TextEdit.

I have installed 3rd party software - but it's from the Mac site. However I was having this problem before I installed anything. I don't believe any of the programs affect Finder, but if there are any that do I would suspect candybar or docks, but I don't think they do.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you were having that problem before you installed any third party software, then we can probably eliminate that as a cause.

About the only suggestion I can give you is to try repairing permissions and see what happens. You can give that a go by using your install disk to boot the machine, run Disk Utility, and click on repair permissions. Or if you have the handy OnyX program (freeware) you can use it instead.

OnyX

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.