virus' on my macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in macbook, 120 hd, 2 gigs memory
ok so my mac is running really slow... i have about 40 gigs of music on it.. and im a dj. so its basically my life.. anyways. whats a good virus program i can use..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's not a virus, and installing an antivirus is only going to slow down your machine even more, thus confounding the problem.

I would suggest running a maintenance program such as Onyx or MainMenu. It's likely that your machine just needs a little cleaning.

Also, how much hard drive space do you have left? You state that you have 40GB of music alone on a 120GB hard drive (according to your specs). If you're running low on space, that could also account for the sluggish experience as OS X tends to do better with more free space on the hard drive.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just to further Kash's post ... Have always recommended maintaining a minimum of 20-25% free space on your system drive. This holds true no matter which OS you're running.

Running maintenance with Onyx or MainMenu is sound advice.

(With the state of today's large hard drive's at 500GB and larger, don't know that the 20-25% will hold true or this could back down to maybe 10-15%. Have never had a drive of that size as a system drive to test it out.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.