iPod Earphones for Web Chatting

Reaction score
A slightly odd question, but it is possible to use Apple earphones on a PC to chat with friends through Skype and MSN Messenger? The earphones are the ones with the microphone attached and I've tried everything I know to get it working, but it doesn't want to work. Am I missing something obvious or are the simply not compatible for this type of thing?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You're talking about the iPhone earbuds? They will not work on any Win, Mac or Linux machine I'm familiar with. There is no single port on any computer I've seen that will both input and output audio simultaneously. You will need separate headphone and mic.

(Not to say there isn't such a port. It's been awhile since I've really looked at sound cards.
It's possible there are headsets that split the connections to be able to plug them into 2 ports, but I've not looked for this either.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.