pc to mac networking

Reaction score
ok, i have a pc running windows xp that's directly connected to a linksys wrt54g wireless router. than router to modem and out. i have a mbp that i wirelessly connect to the internet and that connection is fine. the trouble is i can't see my pc on my mac and i can't see my mac on the pc. i've tried to set up a network through the pc but no good. i've went into my firewall and gave permission for my mbp ip address to access. nothing. i've been through this forum and some tips that helped other people are not helping me. any other ideas out there?

OP
W
Reaction score
more info

i forgot to mention that i have sharing files and folders using afp and smb turned on. also when i open the linksys easylink advisor, my pc and mac show up. my pc already has a static ip address.
i tried to connect a LAN cable directly between the pc and mac but still nothing. after i connected the two directly i tried to set up a connection using the pc. i used my connection wizard and the only device that shows up for incoming transmissions is the pc's built in modem. i downloaded bonjour on the pc and that didn't help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How are you trying to access your Mac from Windows? In other words, what non-hardware related steps are you trying to access your Mac? Through "Network Neighbourhood" or through Run > "\\<mac ip>"?

If you setup ftp sharing, can you access your Mac that way? Can you ping the other machine?

OP
W
Reaction score
i tried to access it through network neighborhood. i tried run <mac ip> and now i can access it. the only thing i really needed to do was transfer files from the pc to my mac and print from my mac. now i can do the transfers i need but i can't print and i thought that i would have to set up the network and see my pc (the printer is connected directly to the pc) to make things print.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.