Dreamweaver and Illustrator

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.2Ghz, 2GB RAM20" iMac: 2.16 gHZ; 1GB RAM; 250 Gigz
I'm teaching myself both these programs, and I've run into a wall. I was trying to make some little images that will serve as links, in a nav bar, for example. I made the images in Illustrator and saved the for the web as .gif files. But when I drag them onto my page in Dreamweaver, they come out with a very thin, but noticible, blurry white line around them. This is both unsightly and annoying. Can anyone help me? (It might have to do with all those settings in the "Save for web' window in Illustrator, 'cause I don't know what to do with them) Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
when doing a save for web in illustrator, as a gif, make sure it says perceptual in the pop up, I personally recommend a jpg, even for a rollover, but to each his own.

D

d-funct

I've noticed that rollovers require both images to be the same size or things get squised or streched to fit the before state

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Yeah, everything should relate in size. It's better to make any rollovers and stuff on separate layers and then delete and save as necessary. And I'd say gif or ping for smaller graphics, jpeg for large graphics and photo's, but that's just my opinion.

To get rid of the blury white lines, make sure you select the "allow transparacy" option. And crop the graphics tight to really minimise file sizes.

OP
PBG4MAN
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
johnnyluu said:
Yeah, everything should relate in size. It's better to make any rollovers and stuff on separate layers and then delete and save as necessary. And I'd say gif or ping for smaller graphics, jpeg for large graphics and photo's, but that's just my opinion.

To get rid of the blury white lines, make sure you select the "allow transparacy" option. And crop the graphics tight to really minimise file sizes.
The transparency box is checked, but which option from the drop-down menu should I use?

D

design2

on that note..

doesnt IE put a default border around images sometimes..?
i found if i didnt state border="0" it would give me a blue border if clicked.

OP
PBG4MAN
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
design2 said:
doesnt IE put a default border around images sometimes..?
i found if i didnt state border="0" it would give me a blue border if clicked.
I'm not using IE, I use safari and firefox.

V

vtupser

Have you tried importing the Illustrator files into PhotoShop and then using ImageReady to create your rollovers from those files? I think that PhotoShop handles web images a lot better than Illustrator and gives better compression options.

OP
PBG4MAN
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
vtupser said:
Have you tried importing the Illustrator files into PhotoShop and then using ImageReady to create your rollovers from those files? I think that PhotoShop handles web images a lot better than Illustrator and gives better compression options.
I never thought of that... I'll try and see what happens

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.