• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

MacPro Video Editing Setup for a Student

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coming soon...
Let me give everyone a little bit of a background, as i'm new to this forum as well as Macs in general. Currently i'm a film student at a two-year school and transfering to a four-year film school this fall. I have done graphic design (mainly band tees and merch) for 5+ years and I run Adobe Photoshop 7 from my PC as well as some freeware screenwriting programs. The last time I used a Mac was over 5 years ago in high school in my 'printshop' class, where I learned graphic design. My community school does not use Mac's in their film program, they use PC's running Adobe Premiere. Now for the real reason for this thread. I'm looking into getting a MacPro or another Mac for my four-year school as I want to be able to run Final Cut and Mac's are just that much better for all things creative. However, i'm compleatly lost as to what I should get. I'd prefer a desktop over a laptop. Other than that, i'll be running video editing, audio mixing, graphic editing, and screenwriting software on the machine and possibly others that I have not accounted for yet. Any help or suggestions as to what I should look into would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.