Help me play WMV on my Mac

J

jrb

I have a Power Mac G4 with OS 10.3.7, 1.5 GB SDRAM and Dual 1 GHz Processors. I have downloaded Windows Media Player 9 for OS X into my Applications folder and it will not work. Every time I try to stream or download a WMV file off a website, the browser freezes (I get the spinning color wheel). This happens with Netscape and Explorer. When I try to open Windows Media Player directly, its icon simply "bounces" in my dock and never fully opens. I always have to force quit the application.

Am I ever going to be able to watch WMV files on my Mac? What am I doing wrong? Every FAQ page or online forum I've gone to has told me to download Windows Media Player for Mac OSX which I've already done repeatedly with no success. Please help!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sounds like something is wrong with your Windows media player...

Try trashing any preferences relating to it, delete the app, reboot and then reinstall the player.

Maybe also try repairing disk permissions.

Applications->utilities->disk utility - select your drive and click repair permissions.

OP
J

jrb

Having trouble deleting Windows Media

Thanks for the info. I tried deleting Windows Media Player but I keep getting several warnings telling me various parts are locked. They're all listed as htm & gif files. There's only one file in the application folder and it is listed as "unlocked". How do I delete this sucker?

Thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If if remember correctly. Press and hold the option key and then select delete. believe that this will delete all files taht are locked with you beening prompted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
try control clicking the app, select package contents, go through each folder and file in those contents and some will be locked.

OP
J

jrb

Still no luck

Okay. I was able to delete Windows Medai Player. I restarted and reinstalled version 9 for Mac OSX. I still can't get it to work. Each time I open the application, nothing happens. The Windows Media Player icon "bounces" in my dock for awhile and then stops. I can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Who knows where the pref files are for WMP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
mac hd>users>your username>library>preferences>"windows media player prefs". delete that file. I know its not a .plist, but trust me, thats the file to delete. an alternative is to use mplayer or vlc to play windows media files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
Just download vlc from versiontracker.com ... plays all types of media... so i f u cant get somthing to play on quicktime or windows media player play it with vlc and it should work... also try using a better browsert then explorer... use safari or firefox!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.