Connecting 15" powerbook G4 to Television

Reaction score
I have a Mac 15" Powerbook G4 and want to hook it up to a 36 inch TV . I see the Powerbook has a S-Video output on it and also a DVI output ..

The TV has a S-Video AV1 connection which has 4 holes.. (the S-Video connection on the Powerbook has 7). The TV of course has multiple standard Audio/Video inputs .. Plus 3 external digital component inputs marked as Y-Pb-Pr .

The Powerbook came with a very short 3" S-Video conversion to standard Video connector cable .. and a DVI to VGA conversion cable .. also a short 3"

Anyone know what my options are .. or .. what is the best option? :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
OP
K
Reaction score
thanks . i had not found this accessory product.. though reading thru the details it does not mention the PowerBook G4 . it says Power Mac G5, Mac Mini, MacBook, MacBook Pro etc .. perhaps it will fit the older PowerBook G4 but just does not bother to mention such an older model? I know I have the DVI connection .. unless there are different size DVI's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800
why pay money to convert from DVI to S-video when the computer already has S-video output?

If it's a standard def TV you aren't going to do much better than the 480i output of the S-video port. Maybe you could do 480p into the component video (using a DVI to component adapter, or stacing DVI to VGA and VGA to component). i don't know if the powerbook supports Y-Pb-input or not.

Scott

OP
K
Reaction score
that's a good question cilica73 . the DVI to video is not that much.. but more at $19 bucks. maybe for the sake of some future configuration it makes since? I'd like to get a digital projector sometime for example.. though i might not have this powerbook by then? .. know anything about the fact my S-video connection on the powerbook has 7 holes .. and on my TV there is 4 holes.. and the S-Video cables i've seen at my local radio shack have just 4 pins on both ends? know anything about the extra holes on the powerbook S-vid connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
That adapter should work. DVI is DVI. I think they don't mention powerbook because they don't support it anymore? It used to say powerbook on the list a couple years ago.

If you have an apple store or a best buy, go check it out and see if it matches your powerbook.

As far as why your powerbook has 7 pins instead of four, apple is just kooky like that. I'm sure somewhere there is a tv or monitor that uses the same 7 pin.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.