corrupt HDD? Lost data?

Reaction score
Hi there. I have a brand new eco MacBook Pro (2.4GHz, 4GB RAM), and was using it fine this morning answering emails etc, then loaded safari and I heard crackling noises and shutdown the Mac. I then went to reboot and got no luck.

After resetting PRAM holding power, I got nothing but the Apple logo and spinning target sign.

I then booted with the install disk in and ran Disk Utility and "Verify" and after 4 hours of waiting it came back with "Invalid Directory Item Count" amongst other errors to do with Missing Thread Records etc.

FIRST AID FAILED... The following error was encountered
"Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed"

So I then booted in Target-Mode to get my docs etc using firewire on my other MacBook and that host can't see any attached Mac on the desktop.

Any idea what I can do next? I have a PC and an IDE to SATA cable.. Should I try and plug the HDD of my Mac into my PC as an additional drive? Or would that kill it?

I guess I'm willing to use a data recovery company, but they are ridiculously out of my price range! :)

Thanks in advance,
Dom.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sure sounds as if your hard drive has gone south. :( Unless the data is critical, you don't want to use a recovery service. ($$$$)

You might want to try Data Rescue II, but it's $99. Not exactly inexpensive.

Link

Since the machine is still under warranty, the folks at your local Apple store may be able to help you out with the data part. They'll give you a new hard drive under the warranty.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.