how do i burn dvds

T

Tomohawk

how do i burn a official dvd to a dvd-rw can some one explain the process to me really annoying
-
mac in a micro world-tomohawk-
-

OP
G

gdestiny

Tomohawk said:
how do i burn a official dvd to a dvd-rw can some one explain the process to me really annoying
on the mac: mac the ripper (to rip DVD) -> dvd2oneX (to compress) -> toast (to burn)

on the PC: dvdshrink (rip/compress) -> nero (burn)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
jessica said:
does the mac come with all of the software to do this?
Yeah. A Mac with a superdrive and iDVD (iMovie, why not) can and very well at that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
jessica said:
does the mac come with all of the software to do this?

No. You need to download MacTheRipper and dvd2oneX. Toast is a commercial product you'd need to buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
witeshark said:
Yeah. A Mac with a superdrive and iDVD (iMovie, why not) can and very well at that

I can't remember the last time someone ripped a DVD, compressed it and then burnt it onto a single layer DVD that works on any DVD player with that software.

OP
S

Smlltmr

Hey Johnnyluu take a look at my post on Mac the Ripper upgrades. How long does it take (with your dual) for you to decrypt/compress/burn your own dvds?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you mean the mac software johnny? cause every dvd Ive burned has played on every dvd player Ive tried them on, including those that dont say they play dvd-r's.
dvd2onex is also a commercial app, costs $.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
I recomend you go buy Roxio Popcorn. Its only $50 but it will compress and burn all in one step. Use Mactheripper (www.versiontracker.com) to rip the dvd. You then just drag the Video_TS folder to popcorn and hit burn. Simple and works well. I have several movies I used with it.-

Reaction score
gdestiny said:
on the mac: mac the ripper (to rip DVD) -> dvd2oneX (to compress) -> toast (to burn)

on the PC: dvdshrink (rip/compress) -> nero (burn)

Agree. That is what I do exactly! :p

I own popcorn also, but never used it. I like the 3 step process

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Tomohawk said:

Use DVDBackup to decrypt/copy to hard drive

Use DVDRemaster to compress VIDEO_TS to fit on single layer DVD-R/RW

Use Toast to burn back to DVD. (Don't use Finder, it will place Desktop.DF and another hidden file, I hear these don't work well in a DVD player)

It's pretty simple to do with the above software. You have the same iMac I do, and it roughly takes 60 to 90 minutes from start to finish for a single DVD (using all the software above). Never really timed it though, but it takes about 20 minutes to use DVD Backup, 30 for DVDRemaster and another 30 for Toast to burn it back. This is with the 4x SuperDrive.

Can't wait to see how long it will take when I get my LightScribe burner from LaCie.

Reaction score
For about a 6.7 gig DVD to rip w/ MTR takes about 20 minutes.

The use DVD2oneX to compress the whole TS FOLDER is about another 17 minutes from my I guess then say 4700 rpm hard drive. I am sure its faster if on a faster RPM hard drive. But still numbers look good :)

Then burn w/ TOAST, which I use 8x media, takes 4-5 minutes. Make sure also on Toast you use advance setup and click DVD-UDF setting.

So a grand total of less then 45 minutes to complete a whole 6.7 gb dvd.

This is not using a SUPER DRIVE, which on my Mac mini I only have the combo drive and then I use a 12x firewire external burner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
shift said:
Agree. That is what I do exactly! :p

I own popcorn also, but never used it. I like the 3 step process
I use that 3 step process of mactheripper, dvd2onex, popcorn instead of toast, only cause popcorn will compress a little more if its needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Macman said:
you mean the mac software johnny? cause every dvd Ive burned has played on every dvd player Ive tried them on, including those that dont say they play dvd-r's.
dvd2onex is also a commercial app, costs $.

witeshark posted in response to a query about copying and compressing official DVD's with:
"Yeah. A Mac with a superdrive and iDVD (iMovie, why not) can and very well at that"

I was jsut saying, last time I checked Apple didn't include those facilities with iMovie or iDVD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.