bust mac

Reaction score
hey guys hope you can help coz im in desperate need of this information. right my mate bought a new macbook pro just after christmas and his hard drive has failed and there is a lot of information that he needs coz he's a producer is there anyway that i can get the information off his hardrive using my mac or any other suggestions that you guys can help me with, get back to me asap

Thanks to all,

anarchofreak

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can try to hook his MBP to your Mac via Target Mode. Both machines must be hooked together via firewire. See the following Apple KB article.

Link

Once booted from Target Mode, you can attempt to copy from his machine's hard drive to yours. However, if his hard drive is defective, there may be no way to extract the data without great expense.

Regards.

Reaction score
First off, your mate's Mac is still under warranty. So you want to have Apple look at it and make sure it really is a HDD failure and not something else that is easily fixed. If the HDD really is bad, then you may or may not be able to recover the data, depending on what kind of failure occurred. If it is possible, then the Apple experts will probably do it for you for free. If not, well ...

OP
A
Reaction score
tried it, the macbook wont recognize any devices :( thanks for you help anyway much appreciated :)

Thanks

anarchofreak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
You can try to hook his MBP to your Mac via Target Mode. Both machines must be hooked together via firewire. See the following Apple KB article.

Link

Once booted from Target Mode, you can attempt to copy from his machine's hard drive to yours. However, if his hard drive is defective, there may be no way to extract the data without great expense.

Regards.

exactly what I was going to say. I had to do that once. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.