Safari 4 Beta Issues

Reaction score
I just downloaded the Safari 4 beta yesterday and I really like it, except for one strange problem that I've noticed: Hotmail doesn't work. I can open the page for my email inbox, I can click on checkboxes next to my emails, and I can click the logout link, but everything else will not click. I can't change folders, I can't compose messages, and I can't open emails. I had to use Firefox to access my emails in Hotmail. Anyone else downloaded Safari 4 and having this problem? Any solutions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
No help I'm afraid but it's all working for me.

Reaction score
This is a strange issue, but stay with me.

I jumped at the Safari 4 Beta when it was released the other day. I installed it, started up the browser, and everything was fine. No problems.

Then I realized that my MSN Messenger for Mac started to have some really strange issues. For example, if I need to type five lines during an IM conversation, I usually type the sentence, enter, type the sentence, enter, so on and so forth, and I am sure that is what you guys do as well.

The problem for me is that I had to type the sentence, enter, CLICK ON THE TEXT BOX, type the next sentence, enter, CLICK ON THE TEXT BOX AGAIN.

Basically, whenever I have to type a few continuous lines in MSN, I have to click before I start to type.

Now, I am sure most of you are thinking that it has nothing to do with Safari 4 Beta - I thought so too. But it was the only change I made to my iMac before the problem started, so I decided to test it out.

The same thing happened on my Macbook, and THE PROBLEM went away right after I uninstalled Safari 4 Beta completely. I was able to chat normally again.

That was when I realized that the two are connected, though I have no idea how. I have tried to install and uninstall the application a few times, and it'd cripple that function in MSN every single time I do it.

What is the problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please keep in mind that the public beta for Safari 4 is just what it says it is. A beta.

Look to the right of the Spotlight search bar, you'll see a little box with something that resembles a bug. Click on it and send a bug report to Apple. Be specific and provide details.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Seems to be working fine here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Same response. Use the bug report. Remember, it's a public beta, any information you can provide to Apple will assist them in releasing a final version as free from bugs as possible.

Regards.

Reaction score
safari 4 beta

just wondering if anyone else has found that the blue loading bar in the web address bit on safari 4 isnt working? or can i have turned it off?

not really a major thing

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No more blue bar. Just a spinning circle next to the blue "RSS" button. For more info on the Safari 4 beta please refer to the "rumors" forum.

Regards.

Reaction score
same problem

Just confirming.
Same issue here.
Even updated MSN Messenger to last version

MacBook, OS X 10.5.6
Safari 4 Beta
Microsoft MSN Messenger 7.0.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged threads dealing with Safari 4.0 Beta issues.

Use this thread to discuss problems or quirks you might find with the latest Beta for Safari.

Keep in mind that this is a Beta version, so some things are bound to be a little screwy.

Just be sure to report any findings to Apple so they can work out the kinks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
Just wondering if anyone has figured out how to keep sites pinned in the top sites, because clicking the "pin" doesn't work for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alu MacBook, Mac OS X 10.5.6 (Leopard), 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD; 8GB iPod Nano 4G
Just downloaded the Beta version and immediately found a problem with Hotmail. I can only view my Inbox and nothing else. I can't open email or go to any other folder. I reported it to Apple.

Anyone else having a problem with Hotmail?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Another question here. I am actually complete unable to open Safari 4 browser upon updating. The icon bounces and then the app simply crashes upon start-up.

The error in the log appears as follows, but I don't know how to interpret it!

Feb 25 22:14:48 name-ibook-g4 crashdump[393]: Safari crashed

Feb 25 22:14:48 name-ibook-g4 crashdump[393]: crash report written to: /Users/name/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Safari.crash.log

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: __ZN3WTF19initializeThreadingEv

Referenced from: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari

Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

dyld: Symbol not found: __ZN3WTF19initializeThreadingEv

Referenced from: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari

Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

What is this 'initializeThreadingEv' symbol that is missing?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Safari 4 Glims search engine adding?

So Glims is now working with Safari 4, but I can't get it to do search engines other than Google. Anyone else having this problem/got any solutions?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just a note to those of you that are using the beta - there is an uninstaller utility within the DMG package that contains the installer. It will revert you back to Safari 3 upon running it. I too have encountered strange behavior with the beta, and even Mail.app once it was installed. After having rolled back, everything with Mail seems to be fine again.

So, if you depend on Safari and/or Mail as your primary clients and can't tolerate the weirdness, definitely roll back and wait for the full release.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
So Glims is now working with Safari 4, but I can't get it to do search engines other than Google. Anyone else having this problem/got any solutions?

Apparently this is a known issue not unique to me. They are working on it. Hooray for the Glims developers for responding so quickly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 PowerBook, iPod Nano 8gb
Same problem for me:

with MSN email

and MSN Messenger for Mac [Version 7.0.2]

Thanks for posting about this because I tested it on my MSN Msngr and had the same problems you experience.

Is it going to be a problem for Apple to fix this because MSN is Microsoft's baby.

I'll report these errors to Apple too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.