What configuration of Mac Pro?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a Mac Pro to use for video editing, music production and some post production work using Shake.

I really have no idea how to configure the machine and the endless choice on the Mac website is boggling my brain (and potentially my finances).

I'd be really grateful for any advice anyone has to offer on this subject.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Even the cheapest Mac Pro would be plenty, but I'd look at getting the minimum amount of RAM and buying it from a third party (Apple marks up its memory and enormous amount).

I'd recommend you go for 4Gb in total though.

There are rumours of a new Core i7 Mac Pro in the next couple of months though. I'd hold off personally, if possible.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a Mac Pro to use for video editing, music production and some post production work using Shake.

I really have no idea how to configure the machine and the endless choice on the Mac website is boggling my brain (and potentially my finances).

I'd be really grateful for any advice anyone has to offer on this subject.

Thanks!

Knowing how much you have in your budget for a Mac Pro would be helpful.

Honestly...it really is not that confusing. I would personally not worry about when purchasing from Apple:

- the size of the hard drive
- the amount of ram

Both of these items can be added later...AND in most cases...Apple charges WAYYYY too much for these items (these items are very easy to install yourself later).

The only "real" decision's might be:

- what video card to choose (I think you may get a better deal on a better video card when purchasing from Apple, other members please correct me if I'm wrong)
- and whether you want or can afford a 4-core or 8-core unit.

Let us know what your budget is $$$, and that may help with some advice.

I hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
I'd suggest the following configuration:

Octo-core 2.8 GHz Xeon processor (the standard configuration)
Upgrading the processor costs a ton and barely helps. Downgrading to quad-core will save you $500 but you're losing potentially half of your processing power. If you're going to be stressing this machine, you owe it to yourself to go for eight cores.

2x1 GB of memory
Apple charges absolutely bonkers-insane prices for memory. Stick with the base amount and upgrade it yourself. It's not hard. Get matched pairs of DDR2-800 FB-DIMMs from NewEgg, ZipZoomFly, or OWC. A 2x1 GB set will cost you $50-$100, while a 2x2 GB set will be about $125-$175. I'd go for at least 4 GB on top of the included 2 GB.

Stock hard drive configuration
Again, Apple overcharges to a huge extent for hard drives. Just stick with the single 320 GB drive they ship the computer with and upgrade the capacity yourself when you need to. Western Digital has some of the fastest drives available - one or two 1 TB Caviar Black drives would be nice, or if you really need speed, a WD VelociRaptor is one of the fastest desktop hard drives on the market (but it tops out at 300 GB capacity and requires some sort of adapter kit to fit in a Mac Pro). I believe 1.5-2 TB drives are going to be available pretty soon too. Again, it's pretty easy to install hard drives yourself in a Mac Pro so there's no reason to buy from Apple.

NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT graphics
Shake makes use of your graphics card, and you'll want something better than the old Radeon HD2600 XT that ships with the Mac Pro. Not that the 8800GT is exactly a new card (it's more of a midrange card these days), but it's still tons better than the 2600. And unlike the RAM and hard drives, you can't just pick up a generic video card, so you should get this upgrade from Apple. Luckily it's not overpriced.

One DVD burner
Like the hard drives, you can upgrade your DVD burner after the fact. No need to pay Apple $100 for the privilege when you can just get a second burner from NewEgg for $25 (if you even need one).

I can't really speak to your other requirements but this should get you started.

EDIT: Also, like others have said, the Mac Pro is due for an update sometime this spring. I'd hold off buying unless you NEED it now. A new Mac Pro would likely incorporate Core i7 processors (significantly better than the current Core 2 Quad-based Xeons), better graphics, and a better standard HD/RAM configuration. The only downside (other than having to wait) would be that it would use DDR3 RAM, which costs more than DDR2.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Your replies have really helped. My budget is about £8000. Could go up a bit if required. Think I will hold off for the new releases.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.