MacBook not connecting wirelessly

Reaction score
Good Morning
I have had a MacBook for 3 years, connecting wirelessly to a Netgear MR8142v2 router. (Comcast is my ISP) It worked flawlessly until recently. At first, I couldn't connect unless the MacBook was plugged in to the charger. Once I got on line, I could unplug and go anywhere with it, with no problem. Yesterday, I could not get on line wirelessly, plugged, unplugged, re started router, modem, restarted computer, nothing. I can get on if I am hard-wired, and my other laptop (PC) sees the router with no problem. The Wireless Airport indicator at the top of the window appears and says Excellent strength, and that I am connected. When I open Safari, I get nothing, also it times out with Firefox. I went into the AirPort Assistant, to try to re-set the Airport and my Airport does not show up. I am at a loss now. Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you can connect by ethernet and your Airport is not showing up, that may indicate the Airport card has failed. Run a hardware diagnostics test on your MacBook and see what it comes up with. If the Airport card is bad, that's something which is not user replaceable. It would need to be replaced by an authorized Apple repair facility.

You might also want to read this thread posted on the Apple discussion forum:

Link

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
works elsewhere

I'd agree that it could be the Airport Card, except that it works in other places other than my home. Is there an issue with a Netgear router that anyone knows of?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
I recently had a similar problem with my Belkin router. I called the customer support after hours of trying to figure it out. The problem for me was as simple as changing my connection type. I had it set to Dynamic, and I needed PPPoe. Since switching, both of my wireless computers are connecting flawlessly. Try going into your router settings and switching the connection type.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'd agree that it could be the Airport Card, except that it works in other places other than my home. Is there an issue with a Netgear router that anyone knows of?

You didn't mention it was working outside of your home. Big difference with trying to trouble shoot it. :Grimmace:

If you currently have the Netgear setup using security (WEP, WPA etc) try turning it off and see if you can maintain a connection in the clear. Also make sure the Netgear is broadcasting its SID. You might have to reset the Netgear using the small recessed reset button on the back of the router. Consult your manual.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Info

Sorry I didn't mention that it worked elsewhere O:) I have no security on the router, put it on thinking maybe that was the trouble, nothing....Tried using the Pppoe, but not sure I did it correctly...nothing...reset the router...still nothing...it's more frustrating than anything! I also went to Apple and checked out the updates and I am fine with that. SO annoying! Thanks, I just want to find a solution so I'm not chained to the desk!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
For Comcast, I think you might need the Dynamic connection. Also, when you change it, it might ask for some sort of password from your ISP, so you might need to call Comcast to get it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.