Brand new HD not recgnsed in startup.

Reaction score
Hello Guys ! ..
I had this "folder with question mark sign" . I was told HD died. :(
So bought a new one and used the installation disk .Sytem showed the blue screen and when i went in...it doesnt recognise the new HD ! which i had jsut put in. I checked health of HD sperately, it is all fine.
I connectd the new HD to USB via connector and used the installtion disk . This time it was recognised by macbook and i proceded to format , partition and installed new OS X . If i remove the instalation disk and keep the HD coonected to USB ,system boots fine as noraml mac .
Now , when i m putting this same HD back into the back of laptop case , where it belongs , system again fails to boot ! I put the installtion disk , system boots but doesnot show the HD again !!!

Any help guys !! Thx in advance ...
May be the previous disk was not bad at all O:)

OP
M
Reaction score
Hello Guys ! ..
I had this "folder with question mark sign" . I was told HD died. :(
So bought a new one and used the installation disk .Sytem showed the blue screen and when i went in...it doesnt recognise the new HD ! which i had jsut put in. I checked health of HD sperately, it is all fine.
I connectd the new HD to USB via connector and used the installtion disk . This time it was recognised by macbook and i proceded to format , partition and installed new OS X . If i remove the instalation disk and keep the HD coonected to USB ,system boots fine as noraml mac .
Now , when i m putting this same HD back into the back of laptop case , where it belongs , system again fails to boot ! I put the installtion disk , system boots but doesnot show the HD again !!!

Any help guys !! Thx in advance ...
May be the previous disk was not bad at all O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Sounds like maybe the new HD is not seated properly in the laptop. I know when I put a new HD in my Macbook, the first time around I did not get it seated quite right and had the same issue you are having. Taking it out and making sure it "clicked" in did the trick. Maybe it will work for you?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thx Mary !
I wuld try doing tht again .. But what i remeber, i did hear the "click" first time when doing it and it seated properly there ...
Well ... i wuld try that again.. will do watever possible to avoid going to apple store !

OP
M
Reaction score
now when i tried starting in safe mode , i got a kernel error " Update driver missing : API" .. I got the recent "combo" update from apple site and installed in a external hard drive ... I connected the external HD to mac and tried installing in system.. but again,,,since internal HDD is not yet recognized cant install the update in system!!
any help guys !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.