Apple DIY manual for Macbook Unibody

Reaction score
Browsing the Apple site I found their DIY manuals. Is there a reason there is no manual for the new Macbook? They only have one for the Macbook Pro.

I was searching specifically for replacement instructions for a new HDD and RAM.

I was trying to find wording about whether it voids that warranty. I don't see why it would, but many people on these boards seem to think so. I haven't asked Apple directly, but many say that they are told that it does. If the new MBP has instructions for both as DIY replacement, then I highly doubt it would void the warranty.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The DIY instructions for replacing the hard drive are in the Owners Manual that came with your Macbook in Chapter 3 along with instructions for replacing the battery and RAM. Here's a link for it.

These items can be replaced without voiding the warranty on the balance of the notebook unless you damage it while doing so. Read thru the chapter. This is explained there. Apple of course, will not warrantee your new parts. That would fall to the manufacturer of the replacement parts you use. Personally, I always keep any original parts like this for the duration of the warranty period to put back in should the occasion arise that it needs to be sent in for any repairs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.53ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 320GB 7200rpm HDD, nVidia 9400m & 9600m GT (512MB)
I upgraded my HDD last night, a pretty painless process.

After everything was said and done, took me about an hour I guess to get OS X reloaded and everything.

OP
T
Reaction score
Great, thanks for the quick replies.

I found the Macbook owner's manual online (I haven't gotten my Macbook yet). Just found it odd that the Apple site has the instructions listed separately for the Macbook Pro and not the Macbook.

I hope this ends the discussion of whether these upgrades void your warranty. Based on logical thinking I agree wholly with bobtomay. Apple wouldn't tell you how to upgrade your HDD or RAM if it voided your warranty.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I hope this ends the discussion of whether these upgrades void your warranty. Based on logical thinking I agree wholly with bobtomay. Apple wouldn't tell you how to upgrade your HDD or RAM if it voided your warranty.

Just bear in mind what he said about damaging the machine in the process of upgrading memory or the HDD. A search in this forum will reveal some real horror stories about folks who screwed up their machines while upgrading.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Of course one has to be careful. I don't know how many videos on YouTube I've watched demoonstrating the procedure for upgrades. Great feature.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.