GPS Enables Camera

Reaction score
Hi,
Apart from the iPhone, does anybody know of any gps enabled compact digital camera's out there yet.
If not, is there an easyway to geotag photo,s for iPhoto 09.

Thanks,

Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I don't know about cameras. In iPhoto you can click on get info on a pic and it will show a map and you can select the location you took the photo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Right, that's based on the information from the GPS units. I know the Nikon coolpix p6000 has a gps receiver built in, and I'm tempted to get a receiver for my dslr.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I don't know of any compacts that offer geotagging out of the box but . . .

You can use a gps device (like an iphone or handheld garmin etc) to create a gps track. I uses 'trails' on the iphone but there are several apps that offer the functionality. Set it going then stick it in your pocket.

Wander around taking your photos as normal.

Export the .gpx gps file from your gps device onto your Mac. Copy your photos to a temp folder (not straight into iPhoto). Use something like GPSLinker which matches the timestamp on your photos to the timestamp from your GPS track and applies the location data to the exif data on your photos. Voila! Geotagged photos

Now import those photos from the temp folder into iPhoto and delete the temp folder.

I've made it sound much more complex than it really is. Once you've done it once you'll see how easy it is. If you have 10+ photos it's much quicker and accurate than 'hand-tagging' photos in iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 4GBram 500GB HD
One option is to have a hand held GPS and then with some software compare the date-time stamp on the images to 'sync' with the location.
Another option is to have a gps connected/embeded in the camera so that Lat/Lon information gets recorded in each image file.
The second option is far better.

A simple search on the internet returns...
for the first option
GPS Photo GeoTagging I - Two Simple Solutions | Free Geography Tools
An ABC of geotagging photos on the Mac at bioneural.net
for the second option
Geomet'r GPS Receiver for Nikon D200, D300, D700, D2X, D2Xs, D2Hs, D3 and Fujifilm S5 Pro DSLR Cameras (GNC-35) (Free US Ground Shipping) - Cable GPS Receiver
Nikon GP-1, Nikon GP-1 GPS Unit - Digitalrev
Nikon announces Coolpix P6000 with GPS: Digital Photography Review
Canon : Connecting GPS devices | WFT-E2/E2A

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.