Internet question

G

gweedodogg69

I'm new to my Mac PowerbookG4. It doesn't have an ethernet port, but it has a wireless card built in. How can I use a pcmcia card in the laptop for ethernet since my home does not have wireless?

Thank you.

OP
M

meltbanana314

What do you mean it doesn't have ethernet? Ethernet has been standard since the PowerBook G3s!

OP
V

vtupser

Just purchase a pcmcia card that has an ethernet port in it. You can easily find one on Amazon.com or any computer website (search "pcmcia ethernet"). Or since you have a wireless card, go ahead and purchase a wireless router to put into your house that way you can go anywhere with your pb. They will be about the same price range.

OP
G

gweedodogg69

I have pcmcia card, how do I enable it in the Mac though? I plug it in, it shows up on the top but it still looks for an internet connection through the wireless connection. I already have a homenetwork, im not gonna upgrade to wireless until it is ALOT faster.

OP
M

meltbanana314

gweedodogg69 said:
I have pcmcia card, how do I enable it in the Mac though? I plug it in, it shows up on the top but it still looks for an internet connection through the wireless connection. I already have a homenetwork, im not gonna upgrade to wireless until it is ALOT faster.

System Preferences, Network. Disable Wireless, and enable PCMCIA Ethernet w/ DHCP (provided you are using it.) Now, can you also clarify why your PowerBook doesn't have Ethernet though it's been standard for years?

OP
G

gweedodogg69

I have no clue, unless it is under some hidden panel because I know how sleek Apple wants their PCs and stuff to be.

I think I went under System Pref, Network and only saw 3 things. Airport, Internal Modem, and Internal Ethernet. I have no clue where the jack(s) could be.

OP
G

gweedodogg69

I'm in the network window and don't see the pcmcia card showing up and i disabled the airport from the top bar.

OP
G

gweedodogg69

ooooook, i feel STUPID. Thanks for your help though. In the back, there IS a panel. Open that panel it reveals ports. One of those ports is ethernet port...I feel silly :p

OP
M

meltbanana314

Did you really think that Apple wouldn't include Ethernet on a new-ish PowerBook?
:mac:

I know everyone thought Apple was insane when they discontinued floppy drives, but c'mon! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.