What are the most important upgrades for ordering?

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to order both a mac book for my wife and a mac pro for myself. Are the upgrades on the mac website more a personal choice or are any of them essential? If so, which ones are important?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Best option is to upgrade the RAM if you plan to do a lot with your MB / MBP at once and look at investing in a 7200rpm HD as it will speed up your MB / MBP like nobody's business. However, it's usually cheaper to buy the items 3rd party (crucial for memory) and then install them yourself as it's easy in the latest MB / MBP's.
I wouldn't bother upgrading the processor unless it's 2.4Ghz to 2.8Ghz and you really need the extra. 2.4Ghz to 2.53Ghz will only make a difference if you are pushing the MBP to the limit. 2.1Ghz to 2.4Ghz for the MB is pointless unless you want the illuminated keyboard.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm getting ready to order both a mac book for my wife and a mac pro for myself. Are the upgrades on the mac website more a personal choice or are any of them essential? If so, which ones are important?

MacBook, none. You can replace the hard drive and add memory yourself at a lower cost than what Apple would charge you.

MacBook Pro, the only upgrade I would recommend is to upgrade the graphics processor to the best you can afford. Hard drive and memory, again are items you can do yourself.

Just my opinion.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm getting ready to order both a mac book for my wife and a mac pro for myself.
You're getting a Mac Pro and she is getting a MacBook? Seems kind of unfair...

RAM is always a good target for upgrades but do it after you get it. Apple charges too much to add RAM for you.

OP
J
Reaction score
You're getting a Mac Pro and she is getting a MacBook? Seems kind of unfair...

RAM is always a good target for upgrades but do it after you get it. Apple charges too much to add RAM for you.

Hey....shhhhhh...:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Are the upgrades on the mac website more a personal choice?
Yes.

It all depends on your personal needs and desires when it comes to any upgrades on a computer.

Everyone will have a different definition of what is "essential" or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.