OSX 10.4 won't install on new Hard Drive

Reaction score
So I’ve got a Powerbook G4 1.5ghz and my HDD died. I put in a spare 20GB HDD until I can make time to go pickup a new 160 GB. Here is my prob…I put in my boot disks and get through all the menus till I come to “select a destination” and it wont show up the new 20GB. Using Disk Utility, I’ve already erased the drive, ran Verify Disk, and repartitioned the drive. I’m not sure what else to do. Any help would be great.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of hard drive is it? Your PowerBook G4 will only accept an ATA type hard drive. No SATA. Assuming it's ATA... When you ran Disk Utility, did you format the drive as HFS +?

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm sorry, that just blew my mind. *** is HFS?

Read all about it here.

But you didn't answer my question to you... did you format the drive as HFS+ or maybe I should have said Mac file system, journaled?

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.