iBook vs PowerBook?

V

Verrminator

i ordered an iBook because of the price and it seemed like all i needed. my question is: what makes the Powerbook cost more when they seem to have the same specs? did i make a mistake in buying an iBook?

OP
M

meltbanana314

The *big* differences between 12" models:

iBook - 32MB Graphics card that partly relies on CPU for Core Image
PB - 64MB Graphics card that fully supports Core Image

iBook - combo drive only
PB - superdrive available

iBook - 256MB RAM Standard
PB - 512MB RAM standard

iBook - polycarbonate plastic
PB - anodized aluminum

the differences are there, they do not have the same specs. i went with a PowerBook because they are more versatile and more powerful than the iBooks, and it will last me much longer too...

OP
C

Cloudane

iBook - monitor port can only mirror the image on the LCD, at the same resolution.
Powerbook - monitor port can act as an extended desktop, and at any resolution.

That was the deciding factor for me... I plug the Powerbook in a lot as well as taking it out and about, and at home it's nice to be running OS X at 1600x1200.

OP
M

meltbanana314

Cloudane said:
iBook - monitor port can only mirror the image on the LCD, at the same resolution.
Powerbook - monitor port can act as an extended desktop, and at any resolution.

Actually, you can get extended desktop to work with Screen Spanning Doctor, but the iBook's limitations on that are the flabby 1024x768 resolution and lack of a DVI port.

OP
V

Verrminator

i went with the 12in iBook. i will be using it for surfing the web, email, some html, and watching dvd's. is the 12in iBook that i bought good enough to handle this? it should be right?

this is what i ordered:

1.2GHz PowerPC G4
512MB DDR266 SDRAM
30GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory
AirPort Extreme built-in

OP
G

Garrett

I am going to do that exact same thing, and I am picking someing up that is considerably less powerfull. (Please excuse my spelling)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
AFAIK the difference is iBook = side bus = 133 and Powerbook = 167

OP
G

Garrett

Wouldn't that mean that the iBook caps out at PC2100 DDR266 and the Powerbook at PC3200 DDR333? Do Macs run DDR in real dual channel, or just single channel?

--Garrett

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
Verrminator said:
i went with the 12in iBook. i will be using it for surfing the web, email, some html, and watching dvd's. is the 12in iBook that i bought good enough to handle this? it should be right?

this is what i ordered:

1.2GHz PowerPC G4
512MB DDR266 SDRAM
30GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory
AirPort Extreme built-in

earlier i was IM'ing my wife while viewing her vid cam, ripping cd's and surfing the net. i did not notice any sluggishness.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.