Mac Maintenance.

D

Dookie

Hi. I've read some pple on these forums use macjanitor program for maintenance of their mac. Has anyone used onyx? Can someone give me a comparison or review of these 2 programs and which one you'd prefer and why?

Reaction score
I've used both and up until recently have been mainly using OnyX which is simple program to use with a nice GUI, its never let me down but with the last version 1.4.9 I get Apple script errors and it doesn't remember its preferences so I'm thinking of shopping around for another one. Maintain is pritty good or though the GUI is messy you can see exactly what it has been doing in the terminal window that it opens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The main maintenance done manually is repair permissions and crons. repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions crons are easily done in the terminal: type sudo sh/etc/daily and /weekly and /monthly at the obvious times

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
witeshark said:
crons are easily done in the terminal: type sudo sh/ets/daily and /weekly and /monthly at the obvious times

They're even more easily done using Titanium Software's Maintenance application. One click is all it takes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yup and I mistyped in the first post it's sudo sh /etc/daily and I log in as root to do it so I don't have t retype since one of the crons was the last executed command in terminal after exit (Also doesn't need the admin password)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
I use Cocktail which works quite nicely.

-Chris

Reaction score
bassplayrr said:
I use Cocktail which works quite nicely.

-Chris
Yes, it is a nice program. But then you do have to pay for it and their are alot of programs that do the same for free ! :bushman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I use cocktail and have been warning mac users about onyx. if you dont know what something in onyx is or means, dont touch it.

OP
D

Dookie

myjay610 said:
What kind of maintence?

I'm not really sure with a mac. On my pc I would scan the hardrive for errors, scandisk, and defragment the hardrive. Since I just switched to mac, I'm totally clueless as to what maintenance is needed. And I have no clue what all the permissions stuff is all about. Someone care to fill me in? And can someone tell me what type of maintenance does what like repair permissions and the likes? For example defragmentation on pc kinda sorts the files more neatly making acces of these files more quickly(the way I see it anyways).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
defragging isnt required on mac, it helps if you do it maybe twice a year, you can also use an app that prebinds the system . mac os x is unix based, requiring permissions stating what apps can open what files and access what extensions, etc, and also has to do with the users ability to edit or open files or programs. it goes much deeper, but Im very busy at the moment and will expound on this later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Defragging happens automatically as needed on loggout, at least with file vault on :alien:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, Ive seen filevault cause so many problems, I usually just tell people to leave it off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mostly problems with preferences, permissions, apps and files related to them, internet problems. Ill post an article after I get home.

OP
J

Jason

Glad I read this post as I turned on filevault last night after picking up my new 12" pb. Guess I should just reverse that on my way home from work today huh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
repair permissions and run cron scripts once in a while. besides that, maybe delete preferences to an app if said preferences become corrupt and the app wont function properly.

Reaction score
Jason said:
Glad I read this post as I turned on filevault last night after picking up my new 12" pb. Guess I should just reverse that on my way home from work today huh?
I've been running file-Vault for some time now and have not had any problems with it. I guess it depends how important your privacy is.

OP
D

Dookie

Macman said:
repair permissions and run cron scripts once in a while. besides that, maybe delete preferences to an app if said preferences become corrupt and the app wont function properly.

Can I do all this using a 3rd party program such as macjanitor or onyx?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.