NAS Drive & iTunes

Reaction score
To whom picks this thread up...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated; after wasting my entire evening searching google to no avail I decided to see if anybody else has come over the same problem I have...

All my music is located on my NAS drive in respective folders.

Every album is located in its own named folder, for example, The Killers tunes would be in:
smb//nas:/media/music/albums/Hot Fuss/...

If I load iTunes and add library by adding the following folder:
smb//nas:/media/music/albums/...
It will know to look in every nested folder (i.e.album) and pull all the tunes. I have 200 album folders with around 15 files in each which it adds without a hitch.

Thus far so good...the problem occurs when I restart my MAC and mount the NAS drive so I don't have to keep adding the library. iTunes is not picking up the fact I have nested folders so when I create the mount through Applescript it is only looking within that folder and not the nested ones thus the paths are not correct.

For example if I create the mount for:

mount volume "smb://user:password@Nas:/media/music/Albums"

it will only mount this folder which is no good as there is no files directly in the folder given they are in the nested album folders. Obviously if I specify the exact album folder it will only recognize the tunes within that folder.

I need it to mount all of the nested folders within the parent smb share (media).

If I copy all my tune files (.mp3/.mp4 etc) from each album folder into a single "general music folder" then the mount will work as I can specify this directory but I don't want to do this as I like to keep all album music within their own folders.

I have no hair left to pull out so please help!

Many thanks in advance,

Please shout if any of this is not clear.

Thanks.

OP
M
Reaction score
Network Attached Storage With iTunes

To whom picks this thread up...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated; after wasting my entire evening searching google to no avail I decided to see if anybody else has come over the same problem I have...

All my music is located on my NAS drive in respective folders.

Every album is located in its own named folder, for example, The Killers tunes would be in:
smb//nas:/media/music/albums/Hot Fuss/...

If I load iTunes and add library by adding the following folder:
smb//nas:/media/music/albums/...
It will know to look in every nested folder (i.e.album) and pull all the tunes. I have 200 album folders with around 15 files in each which it adds without a hitch.

Thus far so good...the problem occurs when I restart my MAC and mount the NAS drive so I don't have to keep adding the library. iTunes is not picking up the fact I have nested folders so when I create the mount through Applescript it is only looking within that folder and not the nested ones thus the paths are not correct.

For example if I create the mount for:

mount volume "smb://user:password@Nas:/media/music/Albums"

it will only mount this folder which is no good as there is no files directly in the folder given they are in the nested album folders. Obviously if I specify the exact album folder it will only recognize the tunes within that folder.

I need it to mount all of the nested folders within the parent smb share (media).

If I copy all my tune files (.mp3/.mp4 etc) from each album folder into a single "general music folder" then the mount will work as I can specify this directory but I don't want to do this as I like to keep all album music within their own folders.

I have no hair left to pull out so please help!

Many thanks in advance,

Please shout if any of this is not clear.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
Well, seems to me that you need to make your "smb//nas:/media/music" file the "itunes music folder location". If this is not possible, then put all of the music files (you can keep them just like you have them) into one file, and make that the "itunes music folder location". I know you like to keep all album music within their own folders, but really, what is one more folder? They'll still be organized just like you have them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged crossposts and moved to more appropriate forum

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your help but I don't think that resloves the issue. I know how to put all my music in 1 folder and mount that but this is not what I am trying to get achieve.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.