Hard drive question/problem

Reaction score
My macbook pro (2.4 ghz) came with 200 gigs of internal memory....

It seems however that I only have about 70 gigs of free space (I checked my Macintosh HD). I feel like I should have a lot more than that since I have installed very little on my laptop since I got it about a month ago. The only big program I have is Logic Studio which is about 50 gigs. Others than that I have not much.

What can I do to verify if my free space reported is accurate???

Additionally, when I "get info" on my Macintosh HD m hard drive size is 189 gigs, why isn't it 200 gigs?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
Firstly you will never get as much as they say because everyone out there rounds up since it looks better to say 200 then to say 189 and If you want to check what's taking up lots of room on your HD then download disk Inventory X
heres the link
Disk Inventory X

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Firstly you will never get as much as they say because everyone out there rounds up since it looks better to say 200 then to say 189 and If you want to check what's taking up lots of room on your HD then download disk Inventory X
heres the link
Disk Inventory X
Not quite. It has something to do with the way they calculate a MB. I'm sorry I can't elaborate but I'm sure someone will.

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks guys....i'm going to download that program when i get home....

i was just a little shocked to see that i've used 140 gigs!! i have absolutely no clue how in the world that's possible.

OP
P
Reaction score
wow....that disk inventory program worked wonders....i'm back up to 120 gigs of free space.... thanks~!

anyone know why my Macintosh HD says i have a hard drive size of 189 gb and not 200 gb?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
np and Im not sure why but thats normal because I have 297GB when my computer is meant to have 300GB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.