MBP backing-up

Reaction score
I just bought a WESTERN DIGITAL 1Tb external hard drive. ( it's way bigger than I need, but I got a good price on it for 95 bucks new) I backed- up just about everything to the External Hard Drive. My question is: Can i delete music and photos from my computer to make more room for programs I need to run? And if so, will i have full access to them (say like iTunes) when the EHD is connected?

IDK how to do this, and any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thank You!!:Oops:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could change the location of your iTunes library: iTunes > Preferences... > Advanced > iTunes music folder location. If you changed it to your external HD, you would save that space.

Reaction score
Music you can.Photos?I am not sure. I did a share on my iphoto and I can't seem to locate the same function as iTunes where you could change the location of the library so most likely no.

OP
trumpetguy
Reaction score
Thank You

Thank you both for you words of advice... After changing the savings in iTunes do I have to delete all my music files from my computer??

This is all new to me, so i'm a lil nervous about what to do.

Thank you again!!

Any other advice is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
when you open iPhoto, as you click the icon, hold down the option key. you get to start a new photo library on any drive you want. I have one for work photos, and one for all my RAW files on an external drive. my main library is on the local hard drive. just remember to hold the option key down when starting to be able to switch between photo libraries.

works for iTunes too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
You could change the location of your iTunes library: iTunes > Preferences... > Advanced > iTunes music folder location. If you changed it to your external HD, you would save that space.

but then you can only access it when you are connected to your external HD.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
but then you can only access it when you are connected to your external HD.
True, but as trumpetguy stated:
Can i delete music and photos from my computer to make more room for programs I need to run? And if so, will i have full access to them (say like iTunes) when the EHD is connected?
(S)he was looking for a place to store his/her data as long as they could access it when the external was connected ;D.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.