Hiding Open Documents in the Dock

Reaction score
I have the application icon for iTunes on my dock. So I click it and it opens the application. Then when I minimize iTunes, the application also appears as an icon on the right side of the dock (to the left of the divider). So, it's pretty much on the dock twice.

Once with a white dot under the big musical note/CD iTunes icon, once as a preview of the open app on the right side of the dock.

If I right click on the left-side icon and select Hide it'll disappear from the right side, but is there a way to automatically not have it show up twice? It's already there on the left with a dot under it indicating it's open, I don't need another graphic showing it's there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
I don't know of a way to disable the display of minimized documents on the right side of the dock, but my solution would be to simply close the iTunes window (which I assume you know does not terminate the application) rather than minimizing it. If you are going to click on the main iTunes icon to show it again anyway (which would by necessity be the case if you hide the open document icon), there's really no reason to minimize the application in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You could just use the "Hide" feature.

Command + H

or just choose it from the menu in iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
or you can use spaces to keep iTunes in a different space, it will also only show the single icon on your dock and keep out of the say

take your pick :D

OP
C
Reaction score
hmmm, okay.

i used itunes as the example, but i was hoping for a way to automatically hide all applications that i already have on the left side of the dock....itunes, mail, finder, etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
hmmm, okay.

i used itunes as the example, but i was hoping for a way to automatically hide all applications that i already have on the left side of the dock....itunes, mail, finder, etc

Could you use "Hide Others" from the application menu of whatever application you want to continue working with? That command doesn't show any document icons on the right side of the dock, even for currently open documents in TextEdit, New Message windows in Mail, etc., even though those documents are still open and redisplayed if you reselect the application from the left side of the dock. (It also hides the icons for any existing minimized documents that were already on the right side of the dock.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
then just go with what Devilboy suggested, use hide instead of minimize, it works throughout the system, not only on iTunes ...

the downside is that when you hide something, it hides the whole application, not just the current window

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.