Size of files stays the same, even if I edit them

Reaction score
I was trying to apply online for a job, and wanted to include a resume and letter. I was informed that the size of the files exceeded the maximum size of 100 kilobytes. I cut and cut, but could never get that small -- at least in the finder window -- no matter what I did, finder told me the file was 112 kb in size. I don't know what is going on. It's pretty frustrating to me. Is there some setting I don't know about? Other files, for example, which I did earlier in the year or late last year, finder says are smalle (say 36 or 48 kb) and yet it looks longer when I read it. Can anyone help me out? Is it a problem maybe in Safari? I'm writing with NeoOffice and saving them as Word documents (97/2000/XP)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Could very well be in the formatting. Really hard to say, but I would say if Finder is saying it's still 112kb then it's not a Safari issue. As far as being a setting in NeoOffice, I can't say don't have it. Sorry :(

BTW, that's huge. My resume is a whopping 60k. How many pages is it? Now I'm curious.

OP
S
Reaction score
Maybe a page and a quarter. Can you tell me how the formatting affects the size? I'm using Times New Roman font, if that makes a difference. And do you have any suggestions as to how I can fix it? Or maybe you can tell me exactly what a kilobyte means as far as the text is concerned (what it covers - just a character, or fonts as well, etc.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Well, the formatting typically embeds more data than the actual text does. If you want to see how much copy the text to textedit and save it and compare file sizes. That'd give you an excellent idea how much overhead is being added in the formatting of the document.

OP
S
Reaction score
Just tried that -- in text edit it's about 4 kb in size (big difference) -- but the text looks the same -- Times New Roman, like in the NeoOffice Document. Any idea why, and maybe that could give me a clue as to why my NeoOffice version is so much larger, and the disparity between it and other files written earlier. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.