Word 2008 - Set page one (pg #) to be on third page

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Hey guys (and gals),

I'm working on my graduate research paper and I need to have page numbers on all of my pages. This usually isn't a problem but I need the page numbering to start on the third page. As it is right now, I have my title page, table of contents and then the first page of my document. So, page three is my "first page" so to speak.

I know how to get the second page to count as page one (Insert > Page Numbers... > Uncheck "Show number on first page" > Format... > Set "Start at:" to 0). I tried to set the start at value as -1 in the hopes that it would make my title page -1, table of contents 0 and my first page as page one but that didn't work (can't set a page as a negative number).

If need be, I'll have a separate document for my title page and table of contents but I would like to, if possible, have all of this in one document.

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately you'll need to have your Table of Contents and Title Page as separate documents. A real pain. I ran into that same thing doing a term paper - at the time I was using the Windows version of Office. Mac Office has retained that same "glitch".

Open Office by contrast allows numbering to begin anywhere in the document.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
having the same issue, looks like I'll get open office

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No need to switch. I recently came across a method that involves adding a section break. I've done it and it indeed works. Check here for more info.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Van:

I knew about this method but still contend it might actually be easier to have the table of contents and title page designated as separate documents. Anyway, it's easier for me. :)

Term papers: Yecch! Glad I'm over that. Have fun.

Regards.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Van:

I knew about this method but still contend it might actually be easier to have the table of contents and title page designated as separate documents. Anyway, it's easier for me. :)

Term papers: Yecch! Glad I'm over that. Have fun.

Regards.
I have found that certain things throw off the page breaks and mess with the page numbers this way. So, I agree that it would be easier to just have two separate documents.

Writing them is one thing. Marking them is a whole different game and one that tested my sanity ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Yes, but if you make the table of contentsa different doc, it will have to be manually created rather than automatically created by Word. Lots more work. I use Word all day at work, and the section break system is what works.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True but the table of contents is not all that extensive. My paper is only going to have a few chapters with a few subsections for only a select number of chapters (I hope that made sense). Doing it by hand is not going to be that arduous.

Reaction score
There is no need to create your TOC in a separate document.

If you do that you can't easily update it as you write.

You just need to create separate sections. It's under Insert.

Just create your cover as Section 1, TOC as Section 2, and your text as Section 3. Then you can easily start numbering at Section 3.

I did this when I wrote my 300+ page dissertation. It was merely 1 document from cover to Appendixes. I never had any problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Appendices? Not Appendixes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.