Updated to 10.5 Leopard, now I can't boot Linux Live CDs

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I just upgraded my early 2006 Intel iMac from Tiger (10.4) to Leopard (10.5), using an upgrade "CPU Drop-In" not-for-resale disk that I purchased from eBay.

Now, I can't boot from ANY CD, when starting/restarting, holding down the 'C' key. I can boot from the Leopard disk IF I mount it first, and then double-click the installer, which of course prompts you to restart the computer to initiate the installation process. I also cannot boot into 'safe' mode, open firmware, etc. And no, I haven't disabled booting into these modes.

I can burn CDs and DVDs just fine, using Disk Utility or Toast. Clearly it's not a hardware issue.

I would like to test some Linux Live CDs, and eventually install one (maybe two!) on a separate partition. I had been doing this in 10.4 without any problems.

What's going on here? Does this have something to do with the switch to GUID partition scheme for 10.5?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like that "not for sale" upgrade Leopard DVD wiped out the complete partition scheme. Bad move. You should have purchased a real Leopard retail DVD from Amazon or NewEgg.

You may be able to get back to square one by using a bootable rEFIt CD. Take a look at this thread. Although it has to do with a bad Ubuntu install, it may help you. Link

Also to get rEFIt go here: Link

Regards.

OP
JWJones
Reaction score
Partition scheme

Wouldn't there be a way to restore the partition scheme from the Leopard DVD? And why the heck would it destroy the partition scheme to begin with, resulting in the inability to exercise boot options? Seems nutty, whether it's an upgrade DVD or not. The disk was still sealed (unopened), in the sleeve, so I don't think it's damaged.

I'm just not getting why it would do this...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.