Mother Board Failure Resurrected

Reaction score
In the summer of 2007, my PowerBook G4 12 inch which was just out of warranty, had a motherboard failure. This was according to a local Mac guru after I had spent days troubleshooting. I put it in storage and just brought it out yesterday to see what I could do to a laptop only able to run in SAFE MODE.

Running OS 10.4, I proceeded to update the software through a series of installments (using hard-wire ethernet since wireless was not operational in SAFE MODE).

I am not sure when it actually happened but sometime after that while I was rebooting I forgot to hold down the shift key and it booted a full boot and everything was working again! I had accidentally forgotten a couple of times to hold down the shift key earlier that day so I know it wasn't working then.

So my question is this: what do you think happened? Was it a software upgrade that fixed the problem or could it be something on the board that righted itself?

Thanks for any input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.