MacBook Pro to External Display - image not displayed correctly

Reaction score
I am using the last MBP (15") version before the unibodies came out. Since I have had my machine about a year ago I have always connected up to my Vizio 42" LCD with no problems. I use a DVI to RGB connection and an RGB cable.

I have never had any issues watching movies whatever they be in the form of AVI or from Hulu. Always full screen. Recently I started using Boxee and have had no problems. As of ysterdaywhen I watch videos on Boxee, Front Row, or Quicktime I am missing some of the video or its not proportionally positioned on the TV. For example, videos are no longer showing full screen and I see black letterbox bars, and in other cases the movie progress bar is shifted or the black letterbox bars are distorted (2 inchs in depth on top vs 1 inch on the bottom.

Are there settings in OSX that I may have changed that would how it outputs to an external display? Anyone have a similar situation?

PLEASE HELP !!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like it's not outputting at the correct resolution for the TV. You might want to try experimenting with different resolutions (you can change these settings in System Preferences => Displays).

OP
Z
Reaction score
Tried all the different resolutions that were available for the external display. That did not help. This is really frustrating.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.