Mail.app, IMAP not refreshing folders

Reaction score
I have mail set up with my gmail IMAP. I have multiple subfolders to sort my copious email. The wierd thing is that email in folders often (but not always) doesn't appear until I click on the folder and then leave it whereupon the little updating icon appears and the email show up later. I tend now to go the my GMAIL -ALL folder where I can see all emails but this does sort of defeat the purpose of having subfolders! . Clicking on get mail only seems to refresh the inbox, not subfolders. Any ideas on how to force a full refresh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17"
I have the same problem with mine and sometimes a mail arrives in a folder called All Gmail and not in my inbox. I figured out that you need to tell mail which folder to use for sent mail.

I have also had a lot of people say that they haven't received my emails since switching to using gmail through Google Apps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.