• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

imovie 09 not importing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook or G5 dual processor
I use a Sony Handycam HD camera. When i used imovie 08 it imported just fine through a USB port. When I turned on the camera and touched "USB connect" on the camera screen, the window would automatically open to import the footage.

Now that I have imovie 09, it doesn't work. The icon for the HD camera is displayed on the desktop but when I go to import it, the camera is not found.

Anyone have the same problem, or better yet, a solution?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Maybe you should copy the file to your computer's hard drive first?

I use a Sony Handycam HD camera. When i used imovie 08 it imported just fine through a USB port. When I turned on the camera and touched "USB connect" on the camera screen, the window would automatically open to import the footage.

Now that I have imovie 09, it doesn't work. The icon for the HD camera is displayed on the desktop but when I go to import it, the camera is not found.

Anyone have the same problem, or better yet, a solution?

Thanks

I don't know why iMovie isn't detecting your camera, but if iMovie '09 works almost the same as iMovie '08 (which I have), maybe you should copy the file to your hard drive (via USB) and THEN import it into iMovie. That's what I do when I import short videos from my digital camera.

Reaction score
:( Same thing happening to me. I have a Sony HDR-XR520V connected through USB but iMovie 09 does not import. The import windows never opens, but in the desktop the word SONY appears. I used to connect this cammera to import videos with imovie 08, but recently I purchased 09 and is not working, help please!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.