LaserWriter 4/600 & Laserwriter 320

Reaction score
I just bought a used Apple LaserWriter 4/600 for $25. I have a couple of questions:

1. It has 3427 pages printed through it. What is the average before it dies?

2. It's replacing my Laserwriter 320. The toner cartridge and other parts look the same, can I use the 320 as a parts source for future repairs?

3. one of my old 320 toner cart is about empty, are those toner refilling kits sold on ebay any good? or should I look for an aftermarket cartridge?

4. The green roller on the old cart is filled with streaks of toner & it prints dirty grey pages. Can I clean the roller or will that damage it?

Thanks!

Reaction score
The difference is the 4/600 is postscript,and is the better machine.The parts are interchangeable. The 4/600 has a postscript mob. I changed the motor on mine. The plastic kog can start to slip on the shaft. The replacement toner is
Hp92274a or 74A. Mine has 2161 pages printed.:)

Thats the drum the green thingly. The vain that cleans off the toner is shot. Just replace the toner. Sometimes when you just have spots you can use a swab and clean off the drum. The drum is photo sensitive and light can ruin it. Slide the cover back in a darkened room.

OP
D
Reaction score
Mac Sk Thanks for the reply. Does the pages printed count reset when you change the toner?

and when you say just replace the toner do you mean the whole cartridge or get the cartridge refilled?

thanks!

Reaction score
No the page count will not reset,its in the printer rom,there may be a way to reset it the same way you can stop the test page. Saw the directions in an old Macworld once. Just buy a new cartridge or take the one you have to a good refill place. They rebuild the cartridge,ask if they replace the vain as thats whats wrong with it. The vain cleans off the toner on the drum after you print the image.

An HP laserjet 4mp is the same machine just in a different case.

Reaction score
Oh...The only part not interchangeable seems to be the laser head. I tried to fix an HP 4mp with one out of a 320 and no go, something to do with the postscript. The 4/600 laser head has a different part number.

Reaction score
Hello Will a Apple LaserWriter 4/600PS work with may G5? Are these printers consider too slow for the G5 ? Thx
I want a B/w laser to printer positive film only.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello Will a Apple LaserWriter 4/600PS work with may G5? Are these printers consider too slow for the G5 ? Thx
I want a B/w laser to printer positive film only.

Yes, it will work. Although if you are shopping old printers, you should try to find a LaserJet 4 or 4 Plus. They are a lot less maintenance and easier to work on if needed (generally it either needs a new toner cartridge, which contains the EP drum, or a new fuser assembly - and that's pretty much all that ever goes wrong with them). I have several of these printers at work, most have a manufacture date of 1992-1995 and they are still chugging away, having printed over a million pages (sometimes more).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.